Mojca's Reviews > Waking Nightmare

Waking Nightmare by Kylie Brant

Oct 28, 09

bookshelves: suspense-mystery-adventure-thriller, bodyguard-military-merc-gov-cop-leo, kylie-brant, favorites, series-mindhunters
Recommended to Mojca by: Shawna
Recommended for: Romantic suspense bordering on thriller fans / Leslie Parrish and Kate Brady fans
Read in October, 2009, read count: 1

I really have to thank Shawna for recommending this to me. I certainly had no clue this series (or start of it) even existed, until she pointed me in the right direction. If this didn’t have a strong romantic plot somewhere in the middle of it, it could easily be classified as straightforward thriller…And I loved every minute of it. Well, almost.

Savannah is plagued by a sadistic serial rapist, later dubbed Nightmare Rapist, and the police task force assigned to the case is chasing ghosts around town. The guy is methodical, doesn’t leave any clues, and there appears not to be any link connecting his victims. Ryne Robel, ex-Boston homicide detective and head of the task force has finally gotten his wish – another investigator assigned to the case, but his hope quickly dwindles when Abbie Phillips enters the conference room. She doesn’t look like an investigator, she’s tiny and dainty. She actually isn’t an investigator, but an "outside consultant", a profiler Ryne’s boss hopes will be able to figure what makes the rapist tick and help put him away for good.

Despite his initial resistance at working with her, Ryne quickly develops a deep respect for Abbie and her "psychobabble BS" regarding the rapist and his methods. And something more. Their attraction is surprising and explosive in its intensity, even more so with their mutual painful pasts and dark secrets. And that same attraction could also prove a fatal distraction as the rapist is getting a little too close for comfort.

As I said, this could’ve been a straightforward thriller with its hefty dose of police procedures, investigations, and chilling insights into the villain, but thanks to an equally hefty dose of extremely believable romance (and lust-filled bedroom scenes), it safely landed into the romantic suspense category. Not that I would miss the romance if it weren’t there – the story and the writing was just too amazing.

This was a very well written, chilin’ and thrillin’, gripping novel with en edgy style, great plot and story flow and even greater – much flawed but for that so much more human – characters, intense suspense, and so many twists and turns to make your head spin.

P.S. The only things bothering me were the heroine’s sister driven subplot and the rather abrupt and a little unsatisfying ending. You just can’t wrap up 300+ pages of investigation and red herrings in a few measly pages of a slightly deus-ex-machina-like resolution.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waking Nightmare.

Shawna I think you'll enjoy this Alathea. It's the first in the Mindhunters trilogy, and the style, pace, writing, and intensity reminded me of Parrish's Fade to Black in the Black CATs trilogy.

I'm looking forward to the next two! :)

message 2: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Sold! *adds book to out-of-control Wish List* Great review as usual, Alathea!

Mojca Thanks Dina. The second book (that I'm reading at the moment) sounds promising as well. ;)

message 4: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina This had to be part of a series, of course! Will I ever read all the books I can't stop adding to my TBR and Wish List? LOL, I'm a lost cause!

Mojca Don't worry. Apparently it's a trilogy. Adding three more little books won't hurt. ;)

message 6: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Dina wrote: "This had to be part of a series, of course! Will I ever read all the books I can't stop adding to my TBR and Wish List? LOL, I'm a lost cause!
"

And the answer to that is...*sadly*, no. Unless you live to be 112!:)

message 7: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Hey, if I believe in J.D. Robb's "predictions", that can happen! I mean, the 'In Death' series takes place circa 2060 and people live to be over that age easily. You can never underestimate the future advances in modern medicine, LOL.

message 8: by Shawna (last edited Oct 28, 2009 06:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Great review, Alathea! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I've got the next book, Waking Evil, high on my TBR pile and I'm really anxious to read it.

BTW, Kylie Brant's "Alpha Squad" HQ Silhouette romantic suspense series is good too.

Here's the order of it:

Terms of Surrender
Terms Of Engagement
Terms of Attraction

Mojca I have on of those on by TBR pile, Shawna. Maybe I'll add the other two. Not sure, yet. Too many books on that pile already.

But maybe Dina (and J.D. Robb) is right. I might be lucky enough to live over 100 and actually arrive to the bottom of said pile. Not likely, but you never know. ;)