Mojca's Reviews > Waking Nightmare

Waking Nightmare by Kylie Brant

Dec 29, 2016

bookshelves: suspense-mystery-adventure-thriller, bodyguard-military-merc-gov-cop-spy, kylie-brant, favorites
Recommended to Mojca by: Shawna
Recommended for: Romantic suspense bordering on thriller fans / Leslie Parrish and Kate Brady fans
Read from December 19 to 20, 2016 , read count: 2

Savannah is plagued by a sadistic serial rapist, later dubbed Nightmare Rapist, and the police task force assigned to the case is chasing ghosts around town. The guy is methodical, doesn’t leave any clues, and there appears not to be any link connecting his victims. Ryne Robel, ex-Boston homicide detective and head of the task force has finally gotten his wish – another investigator assigned to the case, but his hope quickly dwindles when Abbie Phillips enters the conference room. She doesn’t look like an investigator, she’s tiny and dainty. She actually isn’t an investigator, but an "outside consultant", a profiler Ryne’s boss hopes will be able to figure what makes the rapist tick and help put him away for good.

Despite his initial resistance at working with her, Ryne quickly develops a deep respect for Abbie and her "psychobabble BS" regarding the rapist and his methods. And something more. Their attraction is surprising and explosive in its intensity, even more so with their mutual painful pasts and dark secrets. And that same attraction could also prove a fatal distraction as the rapist is getting a little too close for comfort.

This intense, gripping, chilling, and fast-paced page-turner had (almost) all.

The cast of characters was great. I loved the leading pair in all their contrasting glory. Where she was small and dainty, he was tough and gruff, but both had quite a similar core of steel underneath...And secrets that shaped their lives, past and present. I liked their individual characters, how they worked together, and how they complimented each other. I also liked how their relationship progressed from initial animosity (on both parts) through respect for each other’s abilities and professionalism, explosive attraction to something steadier and stronger. I wouldn’t categorize it as love, since the pace the story (and the two of them) went through was quite grueling, but I guess they were on a good way there once it all ended. But most of all, I liked how they were equal to each other throughout the story; they might not have had the same skill set, but they acknowledged each other’s strengths, and worked very well together once that initial dislike passed. They were able to have actual conversation about serious topics (beside the investigation) without one of them treating the other as inferior or simpleminded. How refreshing.

If this story didn’t have the strong romantic (or whatever you want to call it) subplot smack in the middle of it, it could’ve easily be classified as a straightforward thriller with its hefty dose of police procedural, lab talk, different investigative angles and trajectories, and the chilling insights into the villain.
Romance or not, it would’ve worked either way, but with its romantic angle I can say, it was a more “rounded” story, covering every angle.

The pacing was spot-on, the speed slowly building as the story progressed and the villain started to unravel. I loved the voice and narrative style, giving the story a slight “edge”, keeping things gripping and intense throughout, the characterization was great (even with the supporting cast who didn’t appear there only to serve as backdrop to the main story). The suspense was gripping and nail-bite worthy with so many twists and turns to make your head spin.

The only thing that bothered me was the heroine’s sister driven subplot, that worked mostly to create additional conflict between h/H and to provide the big climax scene, and the slightly unsatisfying ending. After more than 300 pages everything was resolved and explained in a matter of paragraphs. After page upon page of plot twists and red herrings, the measly few pages and a rather deus ex machina resolution left a slightly bitter aftertaste.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waking Nightmare.

Shawna I think you'll enjoy this Alathea. It's the first in the Mindhunters trilogy, and the style, pace, writing, and intensity reminded me of Parrish's Fade to Black in the Black CATs trilogy.

I'm looking forward to the next two! :)

Dina Sold! *adds book to out-of-control Wish List* Great review as usual, Alathea!

Mojca Thanks Dina. The second book (that I'm reading at the moment) sounds promising as well. ;)

Dina This had to be part of a series, of course! Will I ever read all the books I can't stop adding to my TBR and Wish List? LOL, I'm a lost cause!

Mojca Don't worry. Apparently it's a trilogy. Adding three more little books won't hurt. ;)

message 6: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Dina wrote: "This had to be part of a series, of course! Will I ever read all the books I can't stop adding to my TBR and Wish List? LOL, I'm a lost cause!
"

And the answer to that is...*sadly*, no. Unless you live to be 112!:)

Dina Hey, if I believe in J.D. Robb's "predictions", that can happen! I mean, the 'In Death' series takes place circa 2060 and people live to be over that age easily. You can never underestimate the future advances in modern medicine, LOL.

message 8: by Shawna (last edited Oct 28, 2009 06:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Great review, Alathea! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I've got the next book, Waking Evil, high on my TBR pile and I'm really anxious to read it.

BTW, Kylie Brant's "Alpha Squad" HQ Silhouette romantic suspense series is good too.

Here's the order of it:

Terms of Surrender
Terms Of Engagement
Terms of Attraction

Mojca I have on of those on by TBR pile, Shawna. Maybe I'll add the other two. Not sure, yet. Too many books on that pile already.

But maybe Dina (and J.D. Robb) is right. I might be lucky enough to live over 100 and actually arrive to the bottom of said pile. Not likely, but you never know. ;)