Leslie's Reviews > Watermelon

Watermelon by Marian Keyes

May 15, 2010

This book was so good, so funny ,so clever, so witty.

A cheating husband, leaves his wife who just gave birth to his baby. I was already enraged after the first couple of pages and automatically team Claire!

The author‘s writing style is enjoyable. She at times usues humour in situations that would be grim. The main character ‘s written very smart and quick witted. It's like she's talking to you and you're her friend.
Author Marian Keyes takes us down the sad path of a break up and a betrayal. It leads to short term alcoholism, rage, jealousy, intense exercising and self discovery.

I Loved the fact that she got herself out of her funk after her depression. I hated the fact that she still wanted her ex and wanted him to want her back. I will never understand girls who think like that at all.

Sometimes I found the author would break into too many side stories without getting to the story at hand fast enough. Towards the end of the book Claire enraged me at her stupidity towards her scumbag husband I kept wanting to yell at the fictional character, "Why are you such an idiot! Forget about him. " Reading the pages of her reasoning with herself and convincing herself she was at fault for his infidelities was torture.

Anyway it ended well, and towards the end my anger subsided when the character found her back bone. Such a fun book to read, hopefully other Marian Keyes books are just as good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watermelon.

05/12/2010 page 6