treehugger's Reviews > The Perks of Being A Wallflower

Sep 14, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: popular_lit, read_2009, young_adult, coming-of-age, classics
Read in September, 2009

Oh sigh, this book was REALLY reminiscent of Catcher in the Rye, which, despite the author's awesome last name, is really one of my least favorite classics of all time.

Was the kid in this book autistic or what? and who the hell was he writing to,and why should we as the readers care? Why was he so spacey and weird? Why did he talk like he was 8 sometimes, and 30 sometimes? And why was he 16 and driving as a freshman in high school? And why was he hanging out with seniors in high school? And why did he know so little about sex as a freshman ---he didn't know about masturbation?? Again, 'I'm thinking there was some kind of learning disability.

Oh, and his friends were awkward too. why would you let a guy kiss you every day if you're not gay? It's just WEIRD. Why is this book so popular again?

I did connect with some of the things he said (they were pretty spot on and said in a way that connected with the feeling immediately and startlingly...but still, 6 sentences are not a good enough reason to read an entire book..what's the hook here?)

And when the f@#& did MTV start publishing books???

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perks of Being A Wallflower.

Steven I don't think you understood the ending...his behavior was explained when the story of what happened between him and his Aunt Helen was revealed. Charlie was traumatized, not autistic or disable or weird. Just traumatized. And as for everything else in your review, this book was way to simple for you to not understand it. Why he let his friend kiss him was ALSO discussed. I'm sorry, but I loved this book, and I feel, sadly, that a huge factor of your two-star opinion of it was solely based on your inability to read the book carefully enough and make the effort to read in between the lines to understand the deeper meaning.