Kevin's Reviews > Here be Dragons

Here be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman

M_50x66
Sep 14, 09

Read in September, 2009

This book was ridiculously good. I picked it up because every review I saw was gushy and I wanted to be able to stick it to all the believers, but now I find that I'm joining their ranks. I'm not someone who loves historical fiction -- or at least I thought I wasn't -- but maybe I am because I enjoyed this from the first to the last. It's an absorbing account of the lives of Llewelyn and Joanna -- he perhaps the greatest of the Welsh princes and she an extraordinary woman who ruled by his side. I'd have a hard time explaining why I thought it was so great other than to say it was just exceptionally well executed. The historical period is certainly compelling -- England during John's reign didn't lack drama -- but Penman has a real knack for the little details that cause a scene to resonate. It had the feel of authenticity and I thought her characters were fully realized -- particularly the women. Terrific stuff. I would think that people who cast themselves as fans of historical fiction would enjoy this a great deal.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here be Dragons.