A's Reviews > Let's Talk About Love: A Journey to the End of Taste

Let's Talk About Love by Carl Wilson

Sep 14, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: read-2009

I'm sorry, but no. Please please please leave this book on the shelf and instead seek out the 33-1/3 volume on ABBA Gold, one of my all-time favorite books. THAT is where you will find a whip-smart hipster critic using schmaltzy pop as the springboard for funny, impeccably argued, stunning intellectual flights of fancy about aesthetics, music, and society, all wrapped up with a bow of unapologetic love for all things pop culture (high and low).

What you will find here is the opposite -- an utterly specious, rambling, unreadable piece of crap that reads like that time your stoner freshman-year roommate sat up all night raining Doritos dust all over the place thinking he finally had it all figured out because he sat through the first lecture of Intro Philosophy and learned how to spell "Adorno." An insult to the reader, 33-1/3, Celine Dion, Canada, the publishing industry, and humanity at large.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Talk About Love.

message 1: by Tim (new) - rated it 1 star

Tim So he didn't persuade you to be nice to everyone then? I totally agree with your review (except you're too rude to Abba).