Lydia Presley's Reviews > Lord Foulgrin's Letters

Sep 14, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, christian-lit
Read in November, 2009

I haven't yet read The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis (It's on the kindle though for Thanksgiving). But the premise intrigued me and my aunt recommended this book as well.

I'm kind of torn on the book. I understand what the author was intending to do, and the story of redemption was interesting and moved at a good pace - but the letters were.. wordy and frustrating to read. Not necessarily because of the content, just the style of writing did not appeal to me, at all. I would imagine it would be difficult to write only one side of the exchange of letters - but perhaps showing both sides might have been better (even if it went over the same material). I'm hoping that since Lewis' Screwtape Letters is just letters it will address this.

Interesting book though - but it hit a few of my sore points with Christian literature (mainly making me feel as if I'm criticizing then surely I must be of the devil!). Assumptions are made about many things (i.e. sci-fi channel, games, etc) and these things are portrayed as being the pathway to hell. This annoys me on so many levels, I don't even want to get into it here because this review will end up filled with my rants and ravings.

So I'll just leave it at: Interesting book, I don't agree with everything, but I understand what the author was attempting to do, and commend him on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord Foulgrin's Letters.

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan Storm Can't wait for your review of this one. I'd love to read it.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan Storm My mom wrote the above comment, she thought she was on her goodreads account but was actually on mine (of course I am also looking forward to the review;)

Lydia Presley My Aunt recommended this one to me, looking forward to reading it as well.