Julie's Reviews > Heart of the Dragon

Heart of the Dragon by Gena Showalter

F_50x66
Sep 14, 09

Grace Carlyle, frustrated by her boring, predictable job and lack of romance in her life sets out on a potentially dangerous mission to find her brother who disappeared into the Amazon Jungle on a research trip many weeks ago. After her guide steals from her and retreats into the Jungle Grace finds herself wandering, looking for the way out. Instead of getting out of the jungle however, she unknowingly heads deeper in, finally coming across a strange portal...the entrance to the Mythical world of Atlantis.

Darius en Karigan Dragon Warlord of Atlantis feels Grace enter his world and runs to strike her down before she can bring peril to his homeland. Strangely drawn to her however, he finds he cannot bring himself to kill her like he has killed all the others who dared to venture into his homeland. After learning more about her Darius realizes that the city of Atlantis is in danger. Alex had not just gone missing, he is the subject of a conspiracy, a conspiracy to strip Atlantis of all its riches and murder its mythical inhabitants. Together, Darius and Grace must solve the mystery and save Atlantis from greed and deception.

In the words of my fiancé: "This book is horrible!" Personally, I find that to be a little harsh. I knew going in that "Heart of the Dragon" was a romantic fantasy, a genre that Showalter is famous for. That being said, I wasn't expecting much and ended up pleasantly surprised. The reading is quick and easy so it makes a good plane/beach read.

"Heart of the Dragon" got better the more I read. If you aren't familiar with Showalter's style the first part of the book might make you want to roll your eyes a tad with the obvious clichés and overly fantastic style that many romance novelists have adopted in order to "engage" the reader from the first page. This is probably what made my fiancé laugh and make fun of me when I accidentally left my book in the bathroom after a bubble bath. In any case, this is a definite "chick book" and should have it written on the cover in large, bold letters.

Keeping all of that in mind, I honestly liked "Heat of the Dragon." It was pointedly less serious than the book I'd just finished, had lots of fun, mystery, romance, and just a sprinkling of danger which will undoubtedly lure me back to more works by Showalter. If you're skeptical of romance novels stay away, but if you need something fun, short, and slightly mindless, this is a good choice. "Heart of the Dragon" held my interest, and even though I had to wade through a river of melted cheese to get to the heart (no pun intended) of the story I sincerely enjoyed it and continue to be a Gena Showalter fan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of the Dragon.