Julie's Reviews > The Little Lady Agency

The Little Lady Agency by Hester Browne

Sep 14, 09

Melissa Romney-Jones is underappreciated in her time. She has amazing organization skills that are exceptionally underutilized in her job, and this fact is confirmed when she is fired out of the blue. Not that it comes to a huge surprise for Melissa. After all, she's pretty used to being fired by now.

The firing however comes at a very bad time for her. Melissa's sister is getting married and Melissa had a goal of being able to pay off her debt to her overbearing, nasty father by that time, and now with no job that prospect is looking pretty grim.

After meeting an old school chum at a bar by chance, Melissa has a job prospect but quickly realizes it is not what she expected. Realizing that she could do this job much better than her school chum and in a less...illegal way, she decides to take the plunge and opens her own business, The Little Lady Agency. She only had to sell her car, buy a wig, pretend to be someone she's not, and fall head over heels for one of her clients...maybe her skills as an organizer are limited after all. Melissa soon finds out that while she's genius at organizing others' lives she's not so great at organizing her own.

"The Little Lady Agency" sounded intriguing from the back cover, so I decided to give it a shot. I have to say I was...impressed with Browne's writing style. While I liked the main character Melissa very much, there were times when I just wanted to slap her and scream: "get with it sister!" For someone who is so organized and well-meaning Melissa is naïve, over-trusting, and exceptionally simplistic at times. As much as "Little Lady Agency" was about Melissa finding love, it was as much about learning a life lesson, that she has control over her own future.

Overall, I found Browne's characters exceptionally deep for chicklit, and I cannot wait to read the sequel to find out what happens to Melissa, Jonathan, and "The Little Lady Agency."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Lady Agency.