Ren the Unclean's Reviews > The Looking Glass Wars

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

Nov 08, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended for: those interested in Wonderland
Read in October, 2007

This book has a really interesting premise and a cool take on a classic story. The characters are very interesting, especially Hatter Madigan, General Doppelganger, and Bibwit Harte.

My main problem with this book is that Beddor does not do a very good job of writing the story. It is sort of as though he is writing it like a person who is very impressed with the story they are telling you, rather than telling you a story that is impressive on its own. This is sort of strange, since the subject matter and characters basically hold their own, without the sometimes ridiculous embellisments of the author.

Some of the dialogue in the story is also sort of grating, especially most of the stuff Redd says, though this may be because the dialogue in Alice in Wonderland is somewhat over the top. Also, the semi-post-apocalyptic setting that gets set up during Redd's reign seems really out of place and sort of forces the story into the 1984 mold in a somewhat unnatural way. Rather than being dystopian, where these types of themes work really well, the world is just obviously oppressive. I am sort of obsessed with dystopian societies, so I am probably judging this too harshly.

Overall, I would reccommend this book, if only because it is a good story that introduces an interesting take on Alice in Wonderland. If you really liked AiW, then definitely read this book.
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Looking Glass Wars.