Penny Watson's Reviews > An Affair to Remember

Sep 14, 2009

bookshelves: re-read
Read in January, 2013

An Affair To Remember by Karen Hawkins

This is part of the St. Johns' brothers series. My two favorites of this series are An Affair To Remember (Anthony's story), and Lady In Red (Marcus' story). Usually, families of naughty children can become rather irritating in a romance novel. The scene of this book in which Anna, a governess, meets the five unruly children Anthony has recently "inherited" makes you wonder how the hell she is going to win them over. Well, Hawkins does an extraordinarily good job showing us how the bonds gradually build between these distrustful children and Anna and Anthony. It is funny, sweet, touching. This book includes a nasty meddling grandmother, shy fiance, plotting grandfather, and adorable gaggle of children. Anna is a very appealing heroine...beautiful, strong and determined to provide for her down-on-their-luck family, and Anthony is a strict disciplinarian thrown for a huge loop by this sexy governess and the five impish kids. Hawkins' dialogue is superb...I laugh out loud a lot reading this book. It also has a very satisfying HEA ending. The scene where Anthony is forced to rescue Anna in the lake is at once hilarious, touching, and memorable. I should also add that it is not necessary to read the whole series to enjoy this book...it can totally stand on its own!)
Grade: A

Penelope

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Affair to Remember.

01/01/2013 ""And last, to my cousin Anthony Elliot, the estimable Earl of Greyley, I leave the sole care of all five of my beloved children." LOVE this book. Re-reading for fun!" 1 comment

message 1: by Janice (new)

Janice What a great review. I remember loving this book when I read it a couple of years ago. I agree-it is laugh-out-loud funny. I think I'll reread it. Thanks for the nudge!

Carolyn I liked this book too. I always wanted to get the rest of the series. I'd best get on the ball and get it! Great review.

Penny Watson This book is fab! My second favorite one of the series is Lady In Red, which I'm re-reading now. :^)