Mary's Reviews > Man's Search for Meaning

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl

Sep 14, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction, wwii-holocaust, spiritual
Read in September, 2009

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.

"We must never forget that we may also find meaning in life even when confronted with a hopeless situation, when facing a fate that cannot be changed. For what then matters is to bear witness to the uniquely human potential at its best, which is to transform a personal tragedy into a triumph, to turn one's predicament into a human achievement. When we are no longer able to change a situation - just think of an incurable disease such as inoperable cancer - we are challenged to change ourselves."

"(What you have experienced, no power on earth can take from you.) Not only our experiences, but all we have done, whatever great thoughts we may have had, and all we have suffered, all this is not lost, though it is past; we have brought it into being. Having been is also a kind of being, and perhaps the surest kind."

The first half of the book summarizes some of Frankl's experiences, to give the reader a good overview of what the Holocaust prisoners were going through mentally and physically. The second half is Frankl discussing his psychological theories and methods of treatment. He actually begins making his Logotherapy argument during the narrative section, although I suppose we weren't supposed to realize it until the second section.

He makes a really good argument for ways to find meaning to overcome suffering. Also, although he is a very intelligent and scientific man, he included faith and spirituality into his treatment method. I am of the believe that science and faith are not mutually exclusive, so this made perfect sense to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Man's Search for Meaning.

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane One of my favorite books of all time. I learn a lot from it every time I read it.