Carolyn Storer's Reviews > Monster Republic

Monster Republic by Ben Horton

Jun 14, 2015

bookshelves: young-adult, book-list-2009, science-fiction
Read in September, 2009 , read count: 1

Monster Republic is the first book in a new series by Ben Horton. It's told in the third person narrative and although there are several interesting characters, it focuses mainly on the character of Cameron.

Cameron is popular, sporty and good looking. He has everything going for him, including the prettiest girl at school as his girlfriend. But there is one thorn in his side and that's Carl, the school bully. While visiting a nuclear power plant there is a huge explosion after which Cameron wakes up to find his life has changed forever and he's not sure who to trust. Then he realises he's not the only one who's changed when he comes face to face with his girlfriend, who sure sounds a lot like Carl!

A young girl brakes him out of hospital and takes him back to a group who call themselves Monster Republic. They have formed the group so all unsuccessful experiments, like Cameron, have a safe haven. But Cameron doesn't want to just hide away and so sets out to bring down the man who made him into a monster.

This is a really fast-paced, gripping novel. It may be aimed at the young adult reader, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book and in fact couldn't put it down. Although there were times, as an adult reader, I felt a little more detail was needed, this didn't deter me from this very well written action packed story. The writer is successful in making the characters believable and well rounded and gives them enough emotional depth to enable you to either love them or loath them, depending on if they are the good guy or the bad guy.

Favourite Passages:

"The eye that gazed out from the metal plating looked more like a camera. It's cold, glassy lens stared back at him from alongside a living, human eye, daring Cameron to keep looking. Sending him the clear and brutal truth: This is you."

"'No,' he whispered to the monster in the glass. And he watched it shaking its hideous head. 'That's not me. You're not me.'"

I wish the story continued for longer than its 275 pages, as it ended way too soon for me, which only makes me that much more impatient for the next installment in this brilliant new series. I have a feeling that this book is going to be hugely popular in 2010! I highly recommend it, so when it's released, go guy it, you won't be disappointed!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monster Republic.

09/15/2009 page 99