Lulu's Reviews > Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

Jan 13, 08

bookshelves: foodies, memoirs

So, while I'm not really a foodie - where is the official definition of a 'foodie' located anyway? - I eat in restaurants quite a bit for work and I like memoirs, so I was looking forward to this book. And I have to admit that Bourdain's stories kept me engaged until the end.

Like some other reviewers, I found his writing style irritating after a bit but it's not as if he doesn't have 'reader beware' warnings posted throughout regarding the content, tone and abrasive nature of his story.

Overall, he is a competitive and driven personality and the consumate storyteller, which makes me wonder - if he had discovered something else during his youthful overseas trip such as bond trading, gambling or knitting - would he have been inspiring knowing smiles and nods of recognition in knitties, tradies and gamblies today instead?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitchen Confidential.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

RandomAnthony Lulu, great review. I wrote mine before I read yours and I can't believe how similar our reviews turned out.

Lulu I'm scampering over to your review immediately!!

RandomAnthony Lulu, I don't know what happened, but my review was erased! I must have hit the wrong button somewhere. In any case, I said pretty much the same as you in terms of wondering whether or not he would have written a similar book if he was in another profession, and how cool that would have been, and I also mentioned his writing style, although I think I liked it more than you. My apologies. Must recreate review.

RandomAnthony Crap...I see what I did. I put it in the "comments" section of my own review instead of an actual review. Duh...I'll move it over now.