Sara ♥'s Reviews > Standing for Something: 10 Neglected Virtues That Will Heal Our Hearts and Homes

Standing for Something by Gordon B. Hinckley

Sep 15, 09

bookshelves: 2009, challenge-fall-2009, lds, religious, nonfiction
Recommended for: EVERYONE!
Read in September, 2009, read count: 1

I love President Hinckley! He's so awesome!

This book was really great. The way in which it was written reminded me of what I sometimes forget to think about, which is that the current President of the Church is not just the spiritual leader of our Church, but is the prophet for the WHOLE WORLD. And the target audience of this book is EVERYONE.

In this book, President Hinckley expressed his growing concerns (in his usual upbeat manner) about the way in which our society is progressing (or rather digressing)... He then tells us of 10 virtues (1 chapter per) that, if reinstated into our society, would help solve the problems of our society. They are:

Love, Honesty, Morality, Civility, Learning, Forgiveness and Mercy, Thrift and Industry, Gratitude, Optimism, and Faith.

He made some really good points about each one, including many short anecdotes from his and other people's lives, as well as many quotes from the Bible, various wise people from history, classic novels, poetry, etc. Someday I hope to be as well versed as Pres. Hinckley is!

Then he talked about marriage and how important it is to not give up on marriage, but instead to communicate, be kind, look for the good in each other, pray, and resolve issues when they arise. Last, he talks about family, and how if we work on our families, the whole nation will see a change. He lists 10 specific things that will help save our homes, and thus our nation, pertaining to raising children:

1. Accept responsibility for our role as parents and fulfill our obligations to our children.
2. Get married and stay married.
3. Put the father back at the head of the home. (About how the father should provide leadership and be a provider, defender, counselor, and "friend who will listen and give support when needed.")
4. Recognize and value the supreme importance of mothers.
5. Celebrate and treat children as our most priceless treasures.
6. Discipline and train children with love.
7. Teach values to children. (Like the ones listed above...)
8. Teach children to work.
9. Read to and with children.
10. Pray together (as a family).

So overall, it was really great and uplifting. Reminded me of some things I needed to remember and work to do better at... I highly recommend this book to everyone who finds their self thinking, "What on earth is this world coming to???"
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Standing for Something.

09/13/2009 page 60
33.71% "I knew it would be good, but Pres. Hinckley's writing style is great, and it's so interesting so far!"
09/14/2009 page 127
71.35% "I always forget that nonfiction books are slower reads than fiction.... so it's going slower than I would like...."