John's Reviews > Culture Making: Recovering Our Creative Calling

Culture Making by Andy Crouch

Sep 13, 2009

Read in August, 2009

Andy Crouch's book offers a thoughtful, and more importantly, an engaged vision of the relationship between Christians and the cultures within which we live and breathe.

It's a good thing that Crouch wants to move us away from the simplistic notion of "the culture," and instead help us to see the plurality of cultures that we find ourselves in. His definition of culture, "what we make of the world," presents Christians with an opportunity to involve ourselves in the world both as creators and cultivators of our cultures. It invites us to play an active role in the continuance and development of the world as we know it.

The best chapter in the book comes when Crouch describes the different responses that Christians have offered to culture. Crouch employs the metaphor of gestures and postures to show the importance of certain responses in certain contexts (gestures), but that our general approach toward the world should be one of cultivation and creation (posture).

Crouch has provided a much-needed treatment on a subject that impacts each of us. His work is worth thinking through and engaging.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Culture Making.