Carla's Reviews > The Whiskey Rebels

The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss

F_50x66
Sep 13, 09

Read in September, 2009

This book is written from a two first-person perspective, which intrigued me. How could he blend the stories of these two people? Not only were the stories set in different locations, they were also set in different times. One was the story of a woman, the other a man. (For once, I didn't feel skeptical of a male author's depiction of a woman's feelings.)

I learned more about the reasons for the Whiskey Rebellion and felt great compassion for the farmers and distillers so adversely affected by the taxation. I learned more about the inception of our banking system. And the panic of 1792 was more interesting to me in light of the recession we're experiencing.

I didn't give it a higher rating because it seems loosely based on history, and that always makes me uncomfortable when reading historical fiction. I don't have a firm enough grasp of the history to recognize the line between fact and fiction. The author does, however, write a note at the back explaining which characters were historical.

The story is rather raw--absolutely not for the faint of heart. But it was never dull.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Whiskey Rebels.