Sarah Null's Reviews > The Age of Innocence

The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton

193255
I enjoyed this book once I got into it (took me 100 pages or so) but I certainly didn't think it was as fantabulous as everyone says it is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Innocence.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (last edited Jun 29, 2008 12:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeff Good book, Sarah. I'd love to know what you think when you're done.

Jeff I wrote a paper exploring Newland Archer in a unique way. I'd love to hear what you think about it, but it's not up on my website yet! :) I'm overhauling the whole thing and should be getting it up soon.

I see two of your favs are East of Eden and The Godfather. Two of mine as well. If you ever have 14 hours to spare, listen to the audio version of The Godfather. There is a cast of characters instead of just one reader, and it is absolutely phenomenal. I had the privilege of actually listening to it before I saw the movie, if you can believe that.

Sarah Null You guys have inspired me to finish this! I've got some free time today. Maybe I'll go out and enjoy the almost smoke-free air and take the book with me.

Jeff, that audio Godfather sounds awesome! I think my husband would like that too. The Godfather is one of his favorites as well.

Sera Oh no, Sarah! I was going to read this next.

Sarah Null You still should, Sera. I did enjoy it, it's just not going to be a favorite. If we could give half stars I would give it 3 1/2. Honestly I just don't think I was in the mood for it.

Sera Fair enough. Thanks, Sarah.

Jeff Sera, if this means anything to you, I enjoyed it about as much as Sarah did. What you may find interesting is the psychology of Newland Archer. I don't know if you have questions about why men are the way they are sometimes, but his character is a good depiction of a guy who wants to do the right thing, but the clash between love and the duty he feels obligated to carry out for society make it terribly difficult for him. When I read it, it help me see what I once had to deal with in a situation.