Kristen Northrup's Reviews > Bachelor Girl: The Secret History of Single Women in the Twentieth Century

Bachelor Girl by Betsy Israel

Oct 04, 09

bookshelves: fromlibrary, nonfiction, womens-studies
Read in September, 2009

It's an interesting experience to read two consecutive books on the same basic topic, one written by an academic and the other by a magazine writer. This one is the latter. The pluses were a more accessible, breezy writing style and less thesis-proving repetition. However, a lot of details didn't quite hold up to further research, which is why I finally knocked it down from 4 stars to 3. More definitions would have also helped, especially in terms of pharmaceuticals. A remarkable number of context-vague references to drugs I'd never heard of. Finally, many quotes didn't show up in the (jumbled) bibliography, and many were interesting enough that I would have liked to have read more of the original. Which is how I ended up with this book in the first place. I just have to assume the part about how by the 1970s, 'being single, like being openly gay' was finally socially acceptable was a major typo.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bachelor Girl.