Cody's Reviews > Music for Chameleons

Music for Chameleons by Truman Capote

Nov 09, 09

Read in November, 2009

This was my first experience with Capote, and it was a strange and intriguing one. The plot of In Cold Blood never really intrigued me, so I never gave Capote a second thought, but I picked this book up in a thrift store and thought I'd try it out.

I basically loved 2/3 of it. I struggled and suffered through the "Music for Chameleons" section. I thought the short stories were hit or miss. The best by far was "Dazzle" and the worst was "Mojave." Yet even the stories I didn't like stuck with me later in the day - the mark of a good author.

I was however very taken with the rest of the book. The nonfiction story "Handcarved Coffins" was enthralling and haunting. I couldn't put it down! And Capote's talents really shown in the "Conversational Portraits," even though it was noticeably egocentric. Even the bizarre self interview was fascinating, as was the preface. All and all, I felt the book was a slightly overworked, but beautiful mosaic of disjointed vignettes. It left me intrigued with the author, and upon closing the book I immediately picked up the long-neglected copy of "In Cold Blood" on my bookshelf eager for more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Music for Chameleons.

10/17/2009 page 30