Ariel's Reviews > Wild Seed

Wild Seed by Octavia E. Butler

Sep 12, 2009

Recommended to Ariel by: Lambert
Read in September, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I read Wild Seed two weeks ago, and thought the premise was very interesting, although something about Octavia Butler's work really seems to lack variety. I just feel like I have a sense of what can and can't happen in her books. Can: genderbending, genetic engineering, immortality, forced breeding, themes of biological essentialism. Can't: same-sex relationships, escaping captors (whether its Doro or the ooloi Xenogensis). That's not a bad thing, I just hope I'll be surprised by what's coming up in the Seed to Harvest series. I hear there will be aliens!

Was Doro really supposed to be an abuser, or is that just my feminist interpretation of his creepiness? I just started the sequel to Wild Seed, and I think it's bizarre that all of Doro's daughters want to do him.

Lastly, I love the shape-shifting in this book. It's like Animorphs for grown-ups!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Seed.

Emily Agreed about the shapeshifting! That was great. There was one same-sex relationship in there, kind of, but I see what you mean. It also seems to me that Doro was really supposed to be an abuser - he is creepy as hell.