All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Vicious Circle

May 20, 10

bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail
Read in May, 2010

Review courtesy of AllThingsUrbanFantasy.blogspot.com

Persephone Alcmeda (aka Seph) is little like Rachel Morgan and Stephanie Plum rolled into one. Like Rachel, she's a powerful witch who can tap into ley lines and manipulate magic. And like Stephanie, she has to deal with her batty old grandmother making comments about her love life and random people moving in with her all the time.

In the back of my address book was a list of contact numbers for the wærewolves who kenneled in my basement during full moons. My finger ran down to the name Johnny. A last name wasn’t necessary to clarify this guy. There was only one Johnny.-VICIOUS CIRCLE

VICIOUS CIRCLE has a sudden revelation world building scenario. The world lived in blissful ignorance of Wære, Vampires, Witches, and Fey until recently. The human population has been struggling to adapt ever since. The Wære have endured the worst treatment by far. Police won't investigate crimes about them and hospitals will discharge them regardless of their condition the moment the Wær virus is detected.

Seph is instantly likeable as the witch with sympathies towards Wære and a strong, if often reckless sense of justice. She has a quirky love for Arthur Pendragan aka King Arthur that does a nice job of humanizing her. And the Wære/rock star Jonny as well as another romantic possibility who I won’t name keep things interesting and promise a bigger payoff in future books.

The biggest problem I had with VICIOUS CIRCLE is how small it seems. Nearly the entire book takes place in Seph's house. Plus it took a really long time before any action happened. I liked the character of Jonny as a playful and shameless flirt, but he didn’t have nearly enough scenes.

Overall, VICIOUS CIRCLE introduces us to a complex magical world, a likeable heroine still unsure of her powers, and the potential for lots of romantic tension. These all help compensate for a small, slightly slow story. Hallowed Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, Book 2) is available now, and Fatal Circle will be out June 29, 2010

Sexual Content: References to sex.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vicious Circle.