All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Blue Diablo

Mar 27, 10

bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail
Read in March, 2010

Review courtesy of AllThingsUrbanFantasy.blogspot.com

BLUE DIABLO is the first book in Ann Aguirre’s Corine Solomon series. The first half of this book is absolutely amazing. I loved Corine, with her vulnerable yet tough bravado. I loved the history between Corine and her ex Chance, who was not at all your typical alpha hero (though still every inch an alpha). But most of all I loved Ann Aguirre’s writing. It was earthy and smart, full of texture. Every one of my senses was engaged. If you’ve ever been to Mexico, you’ll appreciate the authentic flavor that will absolutely convince you that you’ve spend the weekend south of the border.

The second half of the was not quite as amazing. There were a few nearly pointless scenes (the séance) where a teeny tiny piece of evidence was gleaned that could have been obtained in other (much less complicated) ways. Also a bit too much procrastination when it came to the final showdown. Corine and Chance kept visiting the same locations over and over again when one visit would have sufficed.

Don’t get me wrong, BLUE DIABLO was still an excellent book and the start of what promises to be a topnotch urban fantasy series. Chance has a line early on in the book where he says he doesn’t believe in love at first sight, but he does believe in that ‘Click. Recognition.’ That’s kind of how I feel about BLUE DIABLO. There is something here that just clicked. Maybe it wasn’t love at first site, but I think I waited all of 5 minutes before pre-ordering Hell Fire (Corine Solomon, book 2) which releases on April 6, 2010.

Sexual Content: References to sex, vague descriptions of sex, a non graphic rape scene (extremely brief), references to rape and sex trafficking.

My Rating: 4/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Diablo.