Jim Gallen's Reviews > My Lucky Life in and Out of Show Business

My Lucky Life in and Out of Show Business by Dick Van Dyke

M_50x66
Sep 02, 13

Read in August, 2013

“My Lucky Life In And Out Of Show Business” is a light hearted memoir by one of the favorite stars of stage, screen and television. Dick Van Dyke recalls his childhood in Danville, Illinois, the breaks along the road to stardom and many of the people he worked with on the way. Not surprisingly, the most attention is directed toward his best remembered performances, “The Dick Van Dyke Show” and “Mary Poppins”.

I found his relationship with his idol, Stanley Laurel to be one of the most interesting stories in this book although his accounts of working with Carl Reiner, Mary Tyler Moore and Julie Andrews are fascinating as well.

Van Dyke lives up to his promise that there is no dirt here. Even when talking about the break-up of his marriage and his own struggles with alcoholism and tobacco he presents his story in a matter of act way, neither casting blame on others nor justifying his own actions.

For me this was a delightful stroll down memory lane with quite a few detours into the back stage areas. When reviewing books I frequently ask myself whether it moves me to do something. This one did. I went to the library and checked out a year of “The Dick Van Dyke Show”. One point made about the show was that it was devoid of references to news events to keep it timeless. My wife and I have been laughing through each episode and our daughter has found barrels of laughs in programs aired over 25 years before she was born. Thanks Dick and all the cast!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Lucky Life in and Out of Show Business.

09/02/2013 marked as: read