Sandy's Reviews > The Thorn Birds

U 50x66
Sep 12, 2009

bookshelves: australia-n-z, contemp-fic
Read in January, 1985

I have to admit this was one of my favorite and most memorable books of all the years I've been a reader (since I was what....? 7..?) I still remember most of the characters names, the plot, the death of Paddy in the flood, the drowning of Dane years later, the forgotten daughter, the self-righteous Catholic holy man, Ralph, who chose his love of power and prestige in the church over his love for the woman. I remember the 'station' in the Australian Outback, the hard life of the family and the constant struggles with nature, etc, etc...... I don't know why it affected me as it did, maybe because I was such a romantic at the time I read it.... and than, some years later, Richard Chamberlain and Rachel Ward and Brian Brown did such a terrific job with the TV movie which must have solidified my romantic memories..... Don't know, just have never managed to get it out of my head! Silly me! I've read so many other brilliant and more compelling books since way back then, but this is the one that sticks with me. Wild!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thorn Birds.