Joshua's Reviews > The Big Sleep

The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler

Sep 30, 09

Read in September, 2009

I expected to dig Chandler's pacing and scene structures, but who knew this book would be so funny? There are some brilliantly caustic lines of dialogue. If only more literary fiction writers working today emphasized what Chandler knew: books can be readable, exciting, and fun, even when they deal with grim terrain.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big Sleep.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I have always wanted to read "The Big Sleep." I haven't read one Raymond Chandler mystery. Did he write many books?

message 2: by Nathanimal (new)

Nathanimal Yeah, I love this guy. Everytime I read him I end up talking like Phillip Marlowe for weeks after (minus the ratial slurs I mean). I loved Farewell, My Lovely.

Pang Yup, he's one of my fav, too. Love his style. I kept picturing Humphrey Bogart in his book... I don't know why : )

Lori You can get lost in his retro universe for a long time...and not really want to come back to this one. This is a good reminder for me to get back into the golden age of hard boiled detectives for awhile.

Darin Strachan Chandler once said, "It is not funny that a man should be killed, but it is sometimes funny that he should be killed for so little, and that his death should be the coin of what we call civilization."

Corey Of the classic noir novelists (Hammett, Cain, Thompson) Chandler had the best prose style and, yes, the best sense of humor. Actually he might be closest to Ross MacDonald, a writer who doesn't get enough credit.