Dustin Crazy little brown owl's Reviews > Under the Dome

Under the Dome by Stephen King

Dec 02, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010
Read from November 12 to December 02, 2010 — I own a copy

I'm rather disappointed with this wordy tale. The beginning was amazing and I was thinking I'd be rating Under The Dome 5 stars, but I'm siding with my goodreads buddies Maciek and Maicie on this one - it gets 3 stars from me. I hope Full Dark, No Stars is a better experience.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Dome.

11/12/2010 page 100
show 7 hidden updates…

Maciek What disappointed you? I wonder if we were let down by the same things.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Maciek wrote: "What disappointed you? I wonder if we were let down by the same things."

Yes. Exactly. That's what it was.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl I couldn't stand Jim Rennie - I don't see how he could have pulled the wool over so many eyes so to say - he sure didn't fool me. I really liked the beginning it was great and then it just started to tick me off or piss me off so to say as the story went on. I thought Duma Key was much better than this. Was this supposed to be some kind of cautionary tale - maybe not to hurt other people, animals or ants because we must think how would you feel if someone more powerful than you was playing sick games with your life - well if that was the main meaning of the story - I could have told the tale in a lot less words.

Maciek, you said you liked the beginning and end - well I only liked the beginning. My favorite part liked at the end is when Julia Shumway has blood coming out of her eye - that was cool. Maybe I'll post more in the amazing Koontzland - Dean Koontz group's Under the Dome Discussion thread - I really like to visit that place - it's such a great group.

Maciek Please do. I only heard praise of this book, and will be glad to hear what other members think of it.

Susan The review and comments are helpful - thanks! I have a copy sitting on my shelf where it doesn't seem to be making much progress to the front of the line. I enjoy some of Stephen King's writing, but you'd think he gets paid by the word.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Hey Susan :-) Today I started Full Dark, No Stars - I'm liking it so far - short, dark stories - just right for me.
Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King

Susan I'll have to put that one on reserve at the library. :-)

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Susan wrote: "I'll have to put that one on reserve at the library. :-)"

I actually bought me a copy because I just felt like reading it. Have you read The Tales of Beedle the Bard? They are well-written short stories and a couple are very dark. Short stories work well for my reading abilities :-)

The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling

Susan No, I haven't tried that one although I did enjoy the Harry Potter books.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Susan wrote: "No, I haven't tried that one although I did enjoy the Harry Potter books."

I was actually pleasantly impressed with that little book - it's worth reading and won't take much of your time. I've enjoyed the books much more than the movies - there was too much material to try and fit into a regular length film. Finally, they decide to break it up on the last book - I haven't felt like watching it after being disappointed with the last one. You know how it is when you really love a book and then you watch the film version - the details just aren't quite right.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl I just checked and I did write a review of The Tales of Beedle the Bard so you can read what I thought :-)
The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling

Maicie Three stars isn't a bad thing. The book is worth reading once...just not something I'll revisit in the future. I liked the premise - sort of a cross between "Fantastic Planet" and "Horton Hears a Who."

Dustin, you're reference to an ant farm is right on. Right on!

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Maicie wrote: "Dustin, you're reference to an ant farm is right on. Right on!"

Under the Dome is divided into sections and one is called "ANTS" - I'll go post some of my favorite quotes in the DK UTD thread - You're right, 3 stars isn't bad, I loved parts of it and overall I liked it.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Link to Under the Dome Discussion thread in the Koontzland - Dean Koontz thread: