Mary's Reviews > The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future

The Dumbest Generation by Mark Bauerlein

F 50x66
Sep 18, 2009

it was ok
Read in September, 2009

This book really looked so promising when I read a section while waiting at the local bookstore. And there is some great insight and data here, but this is not the book it should be. There are a lot of statistics, which is good, but the author does not do a great job explaining the data. The writing is very dry (I was falling asleep every 2 pages in the second half). Sometimes the author presented the data about the brilliance of the current up-and-coming generation and I would get confused about what he was really presenting. The last chapter really lost me; much about the lack of civic responsibility of the under-30 demographic in America.

I would like to see someone dwell more on the basic subtitle of the book. I have always thought of most digital devices (yes, computers!) as tools or appliances, not as an end in themselves. The one good point I recall was the idea that many adults have decided that the children are actually smarter than their elders and are letting them more or less run our education system. All in all, and interesting book whose subject matter could be better presented.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dumbest Generation.