Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)'s Reviews > Brothers of the Outlaw Trail: Four Women Surrender Their Hearts to Men with Questionable Pasts

Brothers of the Outlaw Trail by Tamela Hancock Murray

2073558
Sep 15, 09

bookshelves: christian-romance
Read in September, 2009

Three outlaw brothers find themselves in a mess a trouble and instead of letting their mother and younger brother get caught in the middle of it they decide to part ways and split up, planning to meet again in one year. Thirteen years has passed by and none of the brothers have been reunited with each other. Did they run into problems with law? Or did they find God out on the trail and decide to follow Him?

The premise of this book sounded wonderful, I love historical romances, I love historical romances that take place in the Old West, where life is simpler and after a hard day's work you spend your evenings around the fire reading the family Bible. (How I would love to live like this!) Unfortunately this book was not as fulfilling and inspiring as others I have read. There are four novellas in this book (one about each brother) and averaging around 80-90 pages for each story.

My main complaint is that the love stories between the hero and heroine seemed hurried and contrived. It seems as if the characters meet, have one or two conversations, and then declare their love for each other. In other inspirational romances that I have read, I have enjoyed the courtship between characters and I took pleasure in watching the characters fall in love with each other. I wish I could say that about this book. These characters were lacking depth and a plot with outlaws was surprising not as exciting as I thought it would. I thought there would be more adventure, danger, or intrigue involved. On a positive note, the stories did have good morals and provided an excellent portrayal of people establishing faith in God and letting him have control of their lives.

As an avid reader of these novellas and inspirational romances, it is unusual that I did not find this book enjoyable. I typically love these books and I frequently give them five stars instead of three. For readers who enjoy reading historical inspirational romances and perhaps enjoy the Old West, I recommend Bride for a Bit or Wildflower Brides instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brothers of the Outlaw Trail.

09/12/2009 page 85
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Meredith (Austenesque Reviews) This book isn't turning out to be as good as I expected. . .