Janice's Reviews > The Old Silent

The Old Silent by Martha Grimes

F_50x66
Oct 06, 09

Read in September, 2009

As I read this book, I was reminded of a high school English teacher who always talked about "show, not tell" writing. This book was a great example of writing that showed the reader what was happening through well-written descriptions and dialogue, without just telling everything up front. This can be a very effective writing style, but you have to read carefully to catch everything that's going on. The point of view changes between characters frequently (even switching to dogs at one point), so I had to pay careful attention as I was reading. There are many interesting characters, but at times I had a hard time keeping them all straight and figuring out who was most important to the story. I think reading more of Martha Grimes' Richard Jury Mysteries would help alleviate some of the difficulties as I became more familiar with the regular characters. The language was rough in places (including the "f-word"), but I've been told that for British people, this cursing doesn't have the same meaning or tone that it does in America.

This was an intriguing mystery that kept me guessing until the end. I look forward to reading other books by Martha Grimes.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Old Silent.