Meghan's Reviews > The House in the Night

Sep 12, 09

Recommended to Meghan by: Linda Crowley
Recommended for: Seth Koehler, Theresa, Krysta Baughman
Read in September, 2009, read count: 10 at least

I cannot rave highly enough about this book. I can't stop reading it.

First off, the art is block printing at its most alluring. Every page is filled with tender, intimate details in simple black, white and yellow--the yellow is the book's main character, the light.

It is the perfect book for children who are becoming afraid of the dark. It explains how light from the sun reflects off the moon at night and comes into the little one's room. It explains that her home is full of light, even if the lamp is turned off, pointing out musical instruments, toys, pets, plants and parents. It gives the stars a protecting, light-giving role.

A big thank you to Nonna, who wrote John 8:12 on the inside for Ellary: "When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.'" I needed this reminder too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House in the Night.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda Meggie, so glad you love this book! Obviously it captivated me as well and filled me with the most wonderful feeling about early childhood. I found it in a delightful little nook of a bookstore in Estes Park and became entranced at once. May you and Ellary share many joyous, radiant reading hours together.
Love, Nonna