Jay's Reviews > The Forest of Hands and Teeth

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

2419499
Sep 13, 09

bookshelves: books-i-own, sci-fi, apocalyptico, zombie-savagery, world-of-tomorrow, redrum, deliciousness
Read in September, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I loved the beginning. The Village-esque styling, the religious, colonial way of living, the mystery behind the forest and all it stood for. The quiet history of the way they lived, the childlike nature of Mary. For a long time, I thought Mary was only ten, then sixteen, eighteen, and towards the end, closer to her twenties.

I enjoyed how she was forced into the Sisterhood, of how she became trapped into the sways of the people around her. The way she was abandoned by Cass, of how she found Gabrielle. I liked the way her village was overrun by the Unconsecrated.

But that's when it started to slip. It was un-put-downable up until they wound up wandering for what I estimate to be weeks. When they reached Village XIV, I thought it would pick up, and it did at points. The fire, Travis' death. But after that, I just couldn't figure out where Ryan was headed.

It's clear she has intended for more, and I think that's necessary. I want to learn more about the development of the Unconsecrated, of the history of Mary's village, of Gabrielle's village. How far from the present day is this meant to happen? Clearly more than a hundred and fifty, a hundred and eighty years. And what of the ocean, of the lighthouse keeper Mary meets? Are we going to learn about their history? Who they are? Is there a vaccine, a cure? And what of Harry, Cass, Jacob and Argos?

A bit disappointing in parts but very enjoyable overall. I hope the supposed sequel answers more questions than poses them.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

09/12/2009 page 157
50.65% "Really enjoying it so far. A little tired of Mary's love life, though."
09/12/2009 page 259
83.55% "Good to see Mary's moving on from her love affair. I want to know more about how the Unconsecrated came to be."