Diana's Reviews > Master of the Game

Master of the Game by Sidney Sheldon

Sep 14, 2009

bookshelves: favorites
Read in January, 2007 , read count: 3

I know what you're thinking. "How can you possibly rate this soap opera of a novel as highly as The Bell Jar?! You have lost all credibility now that you've included pseudo-romance novels on your goodreads list!"

All I can say is, this book is the literary equivalent of crack.

Sidney Sheldon is a surprisingly talented writer, and the plot twists are many and dramatic. You might throw your copy against a wall in frustration over a character's actions. You will definitely lose sleep when you obsessively stay up all night reading "just one more chapter..." It's just addicting. A definite beach book, but not so trashy that you'd feel guilty reading it in public. In fact, you might even read it more than once.

I have recommended Master of The Game to all kinds of readers and everyone has adored it. Even macho guys. Even snobby scholars. Even so-called nonreaders who never venture further than Us Weekly. I was finally able to wean my grandma off Lavyrle Spencer with this. A hipster friend braved ridicule at Skylight books so she could buy her own copy (because of course I demanded mine back). My sister bought the German translation because she misses it while living in Europe.

Ok, so maybe this isn't exactly on par with Salinger. But if the definition of a good book is one you love reading, this comes pretty close.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Master of the Game.

02/05/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Stalin (new) - added it

Stalin Raja This was awesome...my one of favorite..was thrilled abt the beginning adventure, struggle in the middle of the story and ending was great allover the story Kate Blackwell stands.

message 2: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Chihandae I read this book in high school, cut gym, hid in the boxroom to finish it coz i could not put it down!

message 3: by Natasa (new)

Natasa Great review :)
Lucy, I read all of his books that we had in the library back then, as well in high school lol...that must be some 20 years ago OMG...I really wouldn't mind to re read some of his books now, just to see if I would like it the same way :)

Melanie Goode Was in a nightmare reading funk, like the avid readers equivalent of writers block. A friend recommended this and it has brought me back to life. Easy to read but holds your attention. Great characters (I think I laughed in a few places I shouldn't). A new Sheldon fan is born!