Evelyn Saenz's Reviews > Blueberries for Sal

Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey

Apr 03, 10

"Kerplink, kerplank, kerplunk" as I was working on a unit study for Blueberries for Sal it stuck me that the words "kerplink, kerplank, kerplunk" all began with the letter K. Now wasn't there another book that had letter K words? Oh, yes, it was Klippity Klopby Ed Emberley

Klippity Klop

The letter K was used in each of these books I believe to highlight the fact that these words are not actually considered words but letter sounds that represent a sound heard. kerplink, kerplank, kerplunk are the sounds heard as Sal drops blueberries into her tin pail. Klippity Klop is the sound of the horse's hoofs as the little Knight sets off on an adventure.

Both delightful tales that children of all ages will love. The connection between these two books will be appreciated by older children struggling to spell our complicated English language.

Blueberries for Sal Unit Study
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blueberries for Sal.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lois OMG I'm so glad to see children still have Blueberries for Sal!! My daughters and I read that book until it fell apart. Then, kept reading it with taped pages!