Kelly's Reviews > The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories

The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter

Sep 06, 2013

bookshelves: feminism, fantasy, mythological-fiction, short-stories
Read from September 01 to 05, 2013

I know modern takes on fairytales are all the rage now, but is it only me that occasionally gets a little bit bored with how the outfits and scenery might change but so many of the old tropes persist?

The Bloody Chamber is the antidote to all those "girl in kickass, vertigo-enhancing stompy boots who seems independent but swoons at the nearest chap with a lupine gleam in his eye" tales currently haunting mainstream booksellers and cable TV channels. Heroines (and the odd hero) are smart, interesting and most definitely have lives of their own outside the confines of the stories. And you have to be impressed by the tale that gives its name to this collection. Who saves the heroine? (view spoiler)

I would have given this book five stars except for the fact that Beauty and the Beast type tales, of which there are two in this collection, don't really appeal to me. That's not Angela Carter's fault though - if anyone could make me like them I'm sure it would be her.

Oh, and if you've seen the 80s film 'Company of Wolves' which is based on one of the stories from this volume, you should definitely read this - you won't be disappointed!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories.

09/01/2013 marked as: to-read
09/01/2013 marked as: currently-reading
09/06/2013 marked as: read

Kelly Had to give it a try after watching 'Company of Wolves' the other night. Reading it back to front and so far, it's flipping brilliant!