Geoff's Reviews > Rainbow Six

Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy

Oct 01, 09

it was ok
Read in September, 2009

This book left me feeling 'meh'. I planned on giving it 3 stars, but after tying it up in the last couple chapters I felt the need to downgrade. I hadn't read Tom Clancy before, so maybe he always goes into way too much detail outlining every character's thought process. Even some of the late-added crazy Environmentalists were allowed to tell me over and over how they feel that the killing of any animal is wrong, yadda yadda yadda. I got the point several hundred pages ago, thanks.

The ending itself was kinda disappointing. I figured Rainbow Six had a cool plan all lined up... but then what happened happened. I didn't know if I was supposed to laugh at the over-the-top irony of it all or not, but it seemed out of character for everything the black ops had done earlier. Then the 2-page epilogue just seemed pointless as well. Sometimes you can get a tasty dessert from the postscript, but not this time.

One thing I did enjoy about it, though: It was written in 1998, so it was post-USSR and pre-9/11. I liked seeing how the world viewed/dealt with terrorists then and found it pretty interesting. Airline hijackings hadn't become flying bombs yet, and Clancy was feeling out where the next threats would come from [in this book, a major corporation:]. So the 'historical' feeling of the novel was, for me, the best part of it.

If you couldn't tell, I was ok with the 700 pages of action/investigating, then the end of the book seemed halfhearted. Guess I just expected something more at the end there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rainbow Six.