Ross's Reviews > My Name is Will

My Name is Will by Jess Winfield

Sep 11, 2009

Read in September, 2009

"Shakespeare in Love" meets "Julie and Julia" (or at least so far as I can tell without having actually seen that movie). The simultaneous plots follow a young William Shakespeare around the time he was becoming a playwright and William (“Willie”) Shakespeare Greenberg as he is struggling to finish his masters thesis on, you guessed it, Shakespeare. The author attempts to show parallels in the two protagonists’ lives through the use of alternating chapters. Surprisingly, this is not annoying, and in fact, it’s kind of cool to anticipate what the next chapter will bring for the other Shakespeare based on what has just happened to the first. The author is obviously quite an expert on Shakespeare himself, and the historical perspective on the persecution of Catholics in England under Queen Elizabeth is pretty interesting. It’s a short, quick read, which is good, because this gimmick would probably become tiresome at some point, but it actually made me want to crack open my Norton’s Anthology and read some original Shakespeare.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Name is Will.