Joshua's Reviews > Light Boxes

Light Boxes by Shane Jones

Sep 11, 09

bookshelves: quote-literature-unquote, favorites
Recommended for: Anyone who has ever dreamed of escaping reality
Read in September, 2009

This short "simple" novel is frankly astonishing. It's haunting and mesmerizing, it's writing, elliptic and poetic. Author Shane Jones has brought true envy out of me. His 4 letter sentences have so much hidden meanings, so much poetry behind them that I'm jealous I'm not as wonderful a wordsmith as he is.

What is this book about? Nothing and everything. It's about imagination, balloons, death, longing, mint tea leaves, freedom and expression. It's about how many of us write, many of us create worlds to escape the crushing weight of reality. It's about love, the love of reading, of words, and how we're all part of one confusing and overwhelming story.

Light Boxes may seem confusing at first, as the reader is thrust into a world with no background, but stick with it and you'll be rewarded with one of the better reads you've had in a very long time. This book is nearly impossible to find but well worth the effort... or you can wait til 2010, when director Spike Jonze makes the movie and the book gets republished for the mainstream. Either way, check out this work of storytelling art no matter what.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Light Boxes.