Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > Lover Mine

Lover Mine by J.R. Ward

This book could have easily broken my heart. I've been waiting so long to see John Matthew and Xhex find their happy ending. Anyone who knows me, knows how much I adore this couple. If it's even possible, I probably love them twenty times more now.

The WARDen is so good at writing stories about human nature, all the weaknesses, the vulnerabilities, the strengths. How, at the end of the day, all of us just want to feel special, to feel loved. And when we don't feel that, how it has the power to destroy us.

John Matthew had the worst start in life possible. He was born in a bathroom stall in a bus station. He was born without the ability to talk. He was horribly assaulted at a young age. He had no one to love him. And just when life started turning around, he lost two people he loved very much. And then he met Xhex. From the beginning, she was the one for him. No one can explain what causes us to fall in love with someone. You can call it hormones, fate, destiny, attraction, random coincidence. There is no concrete way to rationalize it. I for one, felt that pull between them. I knew it was going to be big and life-changing for them both. JM fell apart, big time in Lover Avenged. It was very painful to read, and his actions made me so angry. But, I realized that he had been driven to his breaking point, and he was acting out of complete despair. So, it was really good to see him pull himself together so he could save Xhex. And boy, did he! Oh, could John be a more worthy male? I don't think so. He's so sweet, but so strong. He has a protective instinct, but at the same time, he embraced Xhex's strength, and didn't try to change what made her the woman he loved. He came from nothing, but is full of so much. The WARDen made me fall in love with JM all over again.

I was so glad that the WARDen took a big, huge chance with crafting a heroine like Xhex. There are a lot of Xhex haters out there in the Black Dagger Brotherhood fandom. They have said some really ugly things about her. It bothers me, because Xhex is such a great character in my opinion. She has so much going on inside of her. She is so strong, yet she has the things that define a woman in my opinion. Some people think she's too manly or not feminine enough. If she can be who she is and have a man like JM totally in love with her, I say sign me up for her version of manly. I say that in a half-serious manner. But with all seriousness, if Xhex had not been the strong woman, the fierce warrior that she is, she would not have survived what she's been through in her life. She lived in a dark, bleak world, with little to support her. She had to be a strong person, to build a fortress around her inner self, or she would have been decimated. And had she been any less fortified, Lash would have destroyed her. It's pretty clear that I adore Xhex. I think she's sexy, beautiful, loving, intense, intelligent, empathetic, formidable, intriguing, the list goes on. She is now my favorite heroine ever. I felt she was the perfect complement to John. It gratified me that Tohr could see it, from the beginning. I didn't need the backstory of Xhex to love her, but I love her even more now. I didn't need to see her as vulnerable and broken as she was in this book to respect and love her. But, seeing her that way, well it just made the happy ending that much better.

I couldn't have written the ending better. It's like JR Ward took my wish list for Xhex and JM's story and wrote this book based on it. Oh, there were some really hard moments, but I kept the faith that things would work out for them, and boy was I rewarded. I finished this book yesterday morning, and I had to go and reread some of my favorite scenes. The interaction between John and Xhex was so powerful, it turned my heart to mush. The steamy moments really made up for the hurtful interactions they had in Lover Avenged. How unfulfilling their intimate moments were in that book. Their love scenes set my book on fire and singed my hands. Boy, this couple has some chemistry. But, even better, their love for each other had the power to heal them both. Verily, this book makes me believe in true love, and that there is someone for everyone.

Even though I'd love this book enough to light up a solar system just based on the JM/Xhex story, the other aspects also made it a wonderful read for me. The Qhuinn/Blay story line has progressed in a very good fashion. I was so happy to get more of Blay's viewpoint. Blay is dear to my heart. I love that male. It tore me up to see how much his love for Qhuinn was hurting him. Qhuinn had his heart, but he didn't know what to do with it, so he kept throwing it back. And Blay seemed to have no way to get away from his feelings for Blay. So I was glad to see Saxton come into his life. Saxton is one fine male. I liked him from the beginning. He is just what Blay needs. I'm not sure how long they'll be together, but it's good for now. Qhuinn showed some aspects of his character that I needed to see. I have to admit that I did feel for him, and his low self-worth because of being rejected by his family, but I didn't like his lifestyle. I didn't like how he was acting like he was blind to Blay's love for him, and how it hurt Blay for him to sleep with everyone but Blay. I realize that Qhuinn thinks he's not good enough for Blay, but he seemed oblivious to the way he was hurting Blay. I was surprised at how much it hurt to see Qhuinn hurt because Blay had moved on with Saxton. I thought I'd be gratified because he'd know how Blay felt all the time. But, it was so sad for me to read about, because Qhuinn had the opportunity to have Blay, but he was afraid to take the step. And how that must break Qhuinn's heart. I have hopes that things will work out for them, but right now, it's a painful journey. I do think that Qhuinn is going to take a step in a better direction in the forthcoming books. And Blay will get some love and affection like he needs, although his heart will always belong to Qhuinn. I definitely feel for the Qhuinn/Blay fans right now.

I loved the parts in the past showing Darius and Tohr's relationship. It really explained why Tohr took on JM as a son, because Darius had done the same for him. Darius and Tohr are such fine males. You can see how they helped shape and form the foundation for the Brotherhood that we see today. Tohr always came off as an admirable, honorable man that I cared for, but I have grown to love him even more. My heart is broken for his loss. I can completely understand how it nearly destroyed him. I was so glad to see him on the mend, and to see him and John Matthew come to terms. That close bond that was ripped apart by Wellsie's death has evolved into something very wonderful, as JM comes to see exactly how Tohr felt, and Tohr is able to understand why Xhex is so important to JM. And it feels to good to know that Torh approves of Xhex for JM.

There were some really great Doc Jane moments. Her expertise as a doctor, but her understanding of people and how to help them deal with illness was a very important part of this book, as she interacted with Xhex in the aftermath of her captivity with Lash, and also with Xhex's fear of hospitals.

I won't even pretend like this BDB fan girl didn't have some joy-joy moments seeing the other characters. Wow, it was pretty interesting seeing how the backstory with Butch and Xhex, and Vishous' animosity towards Xhex was dealt with. And of course, my smooth criminal, Rehvenge, was in this book enough to encourage me to reread his story again. What a man! I love his relationship with Xhex. And the Shadow brothers, Trez and iAm, have some good moments in this story, as well.

Payne's role expands in this book, and I could see the WARDen setting the stage for her book. Part of me sort of feared that this book would be the penultimate culmination of my love for this series, and it would go downhill, but I have a feeling that WARDen is just getting started. Payne is one heck of an interesting character. And her story is sure to enthrall me, based on how things unfold in this book.

And, can I say that Murhder has this fan reaching for the cold drinks? I can tell he's going to rock my world. I hope to see a lot more of this male!

I cannot do this review without talking about Lash. There are some pretty good words to describe him, but I don't want to be a potty-mouth. He is a perfect contrast to JM in almost every way. He was born with everything and threw it away. His heart is completely rotten, whereas JM couldn't have more goodness in his heart. The fact that he takes and harms the person that JM loves most in the world seemed almost fated, as they come face to face in a conflict that started when they were both soldier trainees. I have to say that he turned out to be a very good villain. I wasn't sure what to think about how the storyline with Lash ended. It needed to go the way it did. But I can't help feeling that there is more to be told on that front. But then, that's one of the things that I love about this series. The way the WARDen plants seeds in my consciousness, and I have questions that make me want to delve deeper into these books. More things for this BDB addict to ponder. Sadly, these characters and this world is frighteningly real to me. Is there a twelve step program for Black Dagger Brotherhood addiction? But then, even if there is a cure, I'm not sure I want it!

This book, oh, this book. I can't say how much I loved this latest installment in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. You know someone needs help when they start tearing up as they write a review. I am freaking hopeless when it comes to this series and this book. It made my dreams come true, but it also took me to some dark places. It makes me ponder fate, and how the ties between others are so convoluted, yet tightly wound, bringing us together and challenging us in ways we don't ever get to understand. This review will be too long if I keep saying everything I want to say. There is just too much to put into words. But I will say four words to Ms. Ward: Thank you so much!!!! And I'll say it twice: Thank you so much!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Mine.

Quotes Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Liked

J.R. Ward
“The truth was...he was in love with her. Totally over-the-line, no-going-back, not-even-dead-would-he-part kind of shit.”

J.R. Ward
“No, you've got it all wrong, John." Reading his emotions, she shook her head. "You're not half the male you could be because of what was done to you. You're twice what anyone else is because you survived.”

J.R. Ward
“Some things are destined to be -- it just takes us a couple of tries
to get there.”

J.R. Ward
“He nodded and curled over his paper, writing quickly. As his words took form on the white page, she got to watch him...and realized she never wanted him to go. She wanted him here beside her forever.”

J.R. Ward
“...the only thing that had tethered her to the earth had been him and it was strange, but she felt welded to him on some core level now. He had seen her at her absolute worst, at her weakest and most insane, and he hadn't looked away. He hadn't judged and he hadn't been burned.

It was as if in the heat of her meltdown they had melted together.

This was more than emotion. It was a matter of soul.”

J.R. Ward
“The male who'd just arrived laughed as he embraced Qhuinn. "You have such a way with words, cousin. I would say...trucker meets sailor crossed with a twelve-year-old.”

J.R. Ward
“In a quiet voice, he said, "How long's this been going on for you? With her."

John took out a small pad he'd brought with him and wrote: Since the moment I first met her.

After Rehv read the scribble, he frowned. "She feel the same way?"

John did not drop his eyes as he shook his head. No sense hiding shit. Not with a symphath.

Rehv nodded once. "That's so like her. Goddamn it...okay, let's do this.”

J.R. Ward
“In the silence, she felt the past and the present shift and mix, but that was a mirage. There was no way to comfort the lost boy he'd been back then.
But she had the grown male.
She had him right in her arms, and for a brief moment of whimsy, she imagined that she was never, ever going to let him go.”

J.R. Ward
“I would hold you up. I will ever hold you up and hold you dear, lover mine.”
J.R. Ward, Lover Mine

“John leaned in and pressed his lips to hers; then he stretched out beside her. His body was exhausted but, his heart was alive with a joy so pure it was like the sunlight he didn't get to see anymore: He was a mute-ass motherfucker with a nasty past and a night job that involved fighting evil and slaughtering the undead. And in spite of all that...he'd gotten the girl.”
― John Matthew thinking of Xhex - J.R. Ward, Lover Mine

J.R. Ward
“She wanted to say something smart and kind, put together some combination of words to reach him where he'd reached her with his. But the thing was, there was more courage in these revelations of his than she had ever shown anyone, and in a world that was full of taking and cruelty, he was fucking breaking her heart with what he was giving her.”

J.R. Ward
“I want you to know...that you can trust me."

John locked eyes with her and was instantly transported to a different plane of existence. Mighta been heaven again. Who the fuck knew or cared. All he knew was that there was only her and him together, the rest of the world drifting away into fog.

Was it possible to fall in love with someone twice, he wondered dimly.”

J.R. Ward
“As his ears rang and his heart broke for her, he stayed strong against the gale force she let loose. After all, there was a reason why here and hear were seperated by so little and sounded one like the other. Bearing witness to her, he heard her and was there for her because that was all you could do during a fall apart.

But God, it pained him to see how she suffered.”

J.R. Ward
“You never knew the last time you were seeing someone. You didn't know when the last argument happened, or the last time you had sex, or the last time you looked into their eyes and thanked God they were in your life.
After they were gone?
That was all you thought about.
Day and night.”

J.R. Ward
“Ride?" Rhage snorted. "Please. That thing is a sewing machine with an air dam taped to it. My GTO could dust the fucker in fourth gear from a dead stop."

When there was an odd sound from behind, John looked back. So did the three Brothers.

"What." Xhex bristled and crossed her arms over her chest. "I can laugh, you know. And that's . . . pretty damn funny."

Rhage beamed. "I knew I liked you.”

J.R. Ward
“The essential truth of life, he was coming to realize, wasn't romantic
and took only two words to label: Shit. Happens.
But the thing was, you kept going. You kept your friends and your
family and your mate as safe as you were able. And you kept fighting even
after you were knocked down.”

J.R. Ward
“The male's diamond eyes locked on Payne, and though she hadn't seen him in forever, she knew who he was. Sure as if she was staring at her own reflection. Tears sprang unbidden to her eyes for last she had known, he breathed no longer. "Vishous," she whispered desperately. "Oh, brother mine...”

J.R. Ward
“You're not half the male you could be because of what was done to you. You're twice what anyone else is because you survived.”

J.R. Ward
“You are so beautiful, he mouthed. But of course she couldn’t see his lips. Guess he was going to have to show her.”

04/30/2010 page 102
19.92% "Eyes are crossing. Must put book down and go to sleep." 4 comments

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan Wow - I think I'm the only person on this planet who did not like the series at all. Read the first and that was more than enough for me!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Every one has different tastes. There are some authors other people love that I don't care for. It's all good.

Alycia I can't wait either Danielle! It's killing me. I'm so interested on seeing what happens to JM and others.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I am so excited to see JM and Xhex get their happy ending. I know I have a lot of books to read in the meantime, but I'm so ready for this book. :)

Alycia Ditto! I completely agree. Mount TBR keeps growing and growing. I feel like I'll never read everything I want to read sometimes :)

Stav I am almost done with Lover Avenged and I'm so sad that I might have to wait a whole year for the next book...:(

Meredith Barrons I am going crazy waiting for Lover mine. Especially after I read the excerpt in Covet!!!!

Stav WHAT?!?!....I'm picking up Covet next week then!!!

valee I didn't know about the excerpt. That's too good to be true, I really hate waiting. Argh!

Meredith Barrons I know, the freaking excerpt is awesome! All I can say is John Matthew is doing something really sweet even though he knows he may never get Xhex back and she may never be his! Oh, and Quinn and Blay are in the excerpt also! It is only 3 pages long but it has me dying for the book!

Sandra.D. I know...I cant wait for Lover Mine !!! Its going to be soo good!!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) This new cover is soooooo much better!

Karen Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "This new cover is soooooo much better!"

It's hot! ;)

message 14: by Beanbag (new)

Beanbag Love Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "This new cover is soooooo much better!"

I didn't think that other one was the real deal. This one is really good. Mmmm.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Very hot. Is it April/May yet?? LOL. How about April/May in December?

Ally72 Oh my goodness! This cover is something else! I am now getting really excited to read this book. I just hope it comes out in paperback first.

message 17: by K. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K. Unfortunately Alexis it will probably only be in hardcover first (just like LovAv.). That's what Ami has listed on their site too (which is usually right). The Warden is not going to miss any revenues on this series I'm pretty sure with such a ravenous fan base. I'm just hoping they put it out in Kindle while it's still in hardcover . . .I'll pay the extra money at the drop of a hat! Just please, please don't make me read from a hardback!! (I'd never thought I'd say price was no object for ANY BOOK! LOL! I've really ditched all my book-buying principles on this one haven't I Danielle! Sign of a true addict! :D)
K.

Ally72 Hi K! I was afraid I was going to hear that. I am addicted with you because I will pay the hardback cover price right away. I have gotten spoiled and just don't like dealing with hard covers because they are just so cumbersome (to me). I will probably order it on my Kindle, but it makes me mad because I have the others in paperback (except Lover Avenged). GRRRRRRR!!!

message 19: by K. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K. I KNOW Alexis!! I so agree - I just find hardbacks heavy, cumbersome and not convenient at all to take with me anywhere! LovAv was the first hardback I had read in an eon . . . because this is the first series I've been SO utterly addicted to . . . it's like crack! LOL! Fortunately, I was late to the party (I just finished reading the last 5 books of the series in a row in Sept. and Oct. and read my SIL's books. So I haven't had the investment or "waiting" stress that you probably have. The only one I've actually bought so far is the short story ("Father Mine") on Kindle! So I've gotten off pretty scott free so far. Only thing is . . . I do see myself buying my own set eventually when I go for a re-read! Maybe there will be some kind of "collectors edition" in a nice group (but not heavy hardbacks)?! Who knows! :)
K.

message 20: by Beanbag (new)

Beanbag Love I got Lover Avenged on Kindle on release day, but Covet didn't come out until a few days afterward. Ugh. I really don't want to buy the hardcover, but I don't think I will be able to stand knowing it's out there and not being able to read it.

message 21: by K. (last edited Nov 05, 2009 08:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

K. Beanbag: Let's hope it's Kindle-friendly for sure! I don't care if it's the same darn price even -- just want my hands on it! LOL! ;)
K.

ETA: Keep "clicking" away on the "I want to read this on Kindle" at the Ami pre-order page for this for sure! Anyone else who would be so kind as to do so would be appreciated as well! :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) K. wrote: "Unfortunately Alexis it will probably only be in hardcover first (just like LovAv.). That's what Ami has listed on their site too (which is usually right). The Warden is not going to miss any rev..."

You're not alone, K. I usually refuse to buy hardcover b/c of the price. I bought LAv on the day it came out, and I'll be doing the same with LM! I can leave JM and Xhex waiting for me, can I? LOL.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Alexis wrote: "Hi K! I was afraid I was going to hear that. I am addicted with you because I will pay the hardback cover price right away. I have gotten spoiled and just don't like dealing with hard covers bec..."

Okay here's a spoiled brat for you. I'm thinking of buying LAv in paperback so that I'll have a matched book for the rest of my collection. Sad, aren't I?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) K. wrote: "I KNOW Alexis!! I so agree - I just find hardbacks heavy, cumbersome and not convenient at all to take with me anywhere! LovAv was the first hardback I had read in an eon . . . because this is the..."

-K there is a collectors pack of the first six books through LEn. It's about $30 on Amazon. And it's paperback. That would be an awesome gift for Christmas (for someone who doesn't own them).

message 25: by Mel (last edited Nov 06, 2009 04:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Alexis wrote: "Hi K! I was afraid I was going to hear that. I am addicted with you because I will pay the hardback cover price right away. I have gotten spoiled and just don't like dealing with ..."

I have a matching set of 7 books now :) Got Lover Avenged in paperback (it was actually due 25th of November, I have no idea why I got mine a month early)!!!
I was lucky that I got on the BDB train pretty late. So I didn't have the extensive waiting and pretty much easely went on to the LAv paperback.
Otherwise I know I would have definitely bought the hardcover. As I'm going to do with Lover Mine. No. Way. In. Hell. I'm waiting 6 months for a paperback version of that book. I'll just be real careful reading it, then buy the paperback version and sell the hardcover (if I can distance myself from the book). Cause I like matching covers. And I like my BDB boys to stand side by side :D

message 26: by Gemma (last edited Nov 06, 2009 04:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gemma Not sure if it may help, but amazon.co.uk has Lover Mine in Paperback coming out at the same time.....

Ok so the cover isn't as hot as the US one, but when needs must....

message 27: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (last edited Nov 06, 2009 05:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I'll probably buy the paperback of LM when it comes out too. At least I'll have a spare copy. Bless your heart, Gem. But I can't bring myself to buy that version with the Elf Lord on the cover. :)

message 28: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel LOL. Yeah really: what's up with those ears? And that eerie hand? Eeew.

message 30: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel LOl. Creeptastic. Yes that about covers it :)

Sandra.D. OMGOMGOMG..the cover is sooo HOT!!!...
I cant wait for the book!!! I love JM

Gemma :( Blooming stupid UK publisher.

I don't blame you Danielle, if it were cheaper for me to buy the hardback with the hot cover, I would. I might replace the evil covered paperback, once it comes out in paperback in the states.

Wonder if they will make it waterproof since we would all drool over it!

message 34: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Gem wrote: Wonder if they will make it waterproof since we would all drool over it!..."

L O friggin L :)

Gemma Are you buying the UK paperback version of Lover Mine, with freaky elf dude, or hardback US version Mel?

message 36: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel I'm not into elves. Unless they look like Orlando Bloom. Nooo I'm more into big broad chests and tattoo's. And the men attached to them.
So I'm going for the waterproofed version :D

Actually: the place I order my books usually has the US version as standard. I don't get the UK version unless I specifically choose it. And this time I sure as hell am going for the pecs!

Gemma I'll let you all know if elf boy is the final cover version.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I hope it isn't the final UK version (keeping fingers crossed).

message 39: by new_user (last edited Nov 06, 2009 01:33PM) (new)

new_user I like the red cover much better. :DDD

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Oh yes. I wonder if Xhex normally wears black nail polish, though. :)

♡Karlyn P♡ I will pay what ever it takes to get this book as soon as I can. If it wasn't the John/Xhex story I may wait for a better discount or used, but no way can I hold off on this one. This is the kind of series I call in sick to work just to read!

Debbie Can't wait for this one!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I am so buying this one new, Karlyn. You are not alone. I'm thinking about taking the day off too!

Kristin This wait is KILLING me!

message 45: by Lacy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lacy I can't wait either!

Karen Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Not much time now, Ladies!"

I can't wait! I think I'm going to go back and read the whole series so that I can really "connect" with John's book. lol

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Karen, are you rereading the books yet?

message 50: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (last edited Mar 24, 2010 08:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I am compiling a Playlist for Xhex/JM. So far:

1. Diary by Alicia Keys (JM to Xhex)
2. Sweet Dreams by Beyonce (Reflects Xhex's feeling about John)
3. Dull Life by Yeah Yeah Yeahs (Overture to Lover Mine)

.....in progress