Tunde's Reviews > The Birthday of the World and Other Stories

The Birthday of the World and Other Stories by Ursula K. Le Guin

Oct 05, 07

Read in January, 2003

Wow. I was an anthropology and sociology major at the University of Michigan, and I picked up this book for free at a used book sale. Impressed would be an understatement. Guin's stories are as thorough as the ethnographies that I have to read for my Anthro classes; class, gender, inequality, signification, and more are covered in a writing that envelopes and enchants the reader. My favorite story is "Paradise Lost", a story about the culture and mythology that are created in a space vessel of humans travelling for generations towards a destination set by people who have been long dead. With none of the original people, the memory of Earth becomes more and more alien, and the quiet isolation of the ship entropies the spirit of discovery and adventure, transformed into a religion about the endless journey as the end goal of humanity. A simply amazing story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Birthday of the World and Other Stories.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natasha (new)

Natasha This book sounds really interesting...I'm going to definitely check it out =)

Tunde I loaned it to Tim.. so you can borrow it from him.

Sarah S She's the daughter of Alfred Kroeber, and her books are absolutely why I wound up in Anthropology in college.

message 4: by Lia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lia Le Guin is the reason that I'm studying anthropology, as well. :) Her stories are fascinating and inspiring.