Sarah's Reviews > Time Enough for Drums

Time Enough for Drums by Ann Rinaldi

Sep 11, 09

Read in September, 2009

I thought this was quite good, but felt that the romance between Jem and John Reid resolved too quickly. I enjoyed the romantic tension that was sizzling between them at the start but by only about 1/3 of the way through they'd declared their love for each other and he'd nicked off leaving her pining for him at home, NOT as fun!
Although on that note, he did seem to enjoy excercising his power over her a LITTLE bit too much, plus the fact that he was nine years older than her and she was only 15 at the start... a tad offputting.
However, the history bits were quite interesting and other than those minor issues it was a good easy read.
Also I didn't like the picture on the front. If that's supposed to be John he looks MUCH too young, and she looks like an 80s bride with a spiral perm.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time Enough for Drums.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Josie Totally agree - when the moment came between Jem and John, I thought 'NOO, not yet!'

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy Nothing wrong with a good spiral perm!

Jessica I agree, the history parts were fun but their relationship disturbed me. A teacher almost a decade older in love with a 15-year old since she was 13 and using his position of power to mold her into the type of woman he likes: namely one who curtseys, obeys him, and calls him "sir"? No thanks!

I thought for sure this book as written in the 50s or earlier.