Greg's Reviews > You Can Write a Mystery

You Can Write a Mystery by Gillian Roberts

Sep 17, 09

bookshelves: writing
Read in September, 2009

I'll preface this review that I am already a writer of science fiction and picked it up to learn a different genre.

This book has lots of excellent advice and even better it is under 200 pages. I have found that books over 200 pages either are full of filler or have too much information to assimilate in one reading.

The book is very different from other books on writing written for the writers' workshop crowd. It is not for the person who wants to write "literature." It is about writing for publication in mystery, suspense, and thriller markets, therefore it does not dwell on the mechanics of writing the perfect sentence and paragraph nor how to bare your soul. It is about structuring a competent mystery.

My favorite things from this book is an excellent form to use for character sketches and another checklist for the editing process. Other little tidbits are great if you are unfamiliar with writing mysteries, like leave a clue in every chapter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Can Write a Mystery.