Lisa Vegan's Reviews > You Can't Take a Balloon into the Museum of Fine Arts

You Can't Take a Balloon into the Museum of Fine Arts by Jacqueline Preiss Weitzman

Sep 16, 09

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, non-fiction, picture-books, reviewed
Recommended for: kids interested in Boston, art, history; those who’ve enjoyed the 2 other “Balloon” books
Read in September, 2009

I just realized how old these “You Can’t Take a Balloon into” books are. I feel sad about that because I suspect this third book is also the last book. I was hoping for more cities/museums in future books. I just found them and had incorrectly assumed that they were fairly new books. Ah well. I’m happy to have read the three that have been illustrated/written.

This time it’s the grandmother off after the balloon around Boston and the grandfather who accompanies his granddaughter and grandson through the museum. The story is a riot and at the end of this one the girl (once again) gets back her balloon and her brother also gets a prized item that comes back with the balloon.

The use of the illustrations to tell the story is a lot of fun. The art, using both color and black and white, is inventive and interesting.

This book is designed to introduce kids to some art and also tries to teach about Bostonian history. Thirty-three past and present legends of Boston are drawn into the illustrations, and at the end of the book their “faces from history” are listed with dates of birth/death if applicable, noted which page in the book they’ve appeared, and a short synopsis of why they’re important is included too.

I wish there had been more than three of these “You Can’t Take a Balloon into” books. These sisters are very talented. The books are very enjoyable.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Can't Take a Balloon into the Museum of Fine Arts.

Lisa Vegan Chandra, Thanks. I'll put Adele and Simon on my list.

I think I liked this one better than the D.C. one because it has such a funny and clever ending. The D.C. one I read earlier today, and I was afraid I'd like this less because it was the 2nd on a row I read. I like the New York one the best.

I'm woefully deficient in traveling. Have never been off the North American continent. Dying to go to London, Edinburgh, various European locations, Australia/New Zealand, Antarctica, etc. etc. etc.

Lisa Vegan I love San Francisco but I'd love to travel more. I've never been to D.C. but have been all over the country, including Hawaii and Alaska. I've also been through most of Canada except the very far east and north. I've been to Mexico City and some of the rest of Mexico. I'm dying to go to London. It's the place I most want to visit.

Lisa Vegan Oh, I hope you get back quickly then!

Lisa Vegan Abigail, I'll have to check out both the NY and SF books. Will add them tonight.

Yes, with this one start with NY, the first published one. It was my favorite, in part because it was NY, but also less color was used and I liked the illustrations the best. D.C. next was fun for me because I've always wanted to go to all the museums there. Then, Boston (this, the third, one) was extra funny because of the ending, I thought.

Crystal Marcos I have only read one and I am excited to read more. Of course, since it is just around the corner, I would love to see one about Seattle.

Lisa Vegan I know Seattle so I'd love a Seattle one too. I'd love one about a San Francisco museum too; those I know the very best. And one about the Art Institute in Chicago would be fabulous.

Crystal Marcos I agree!

Dolly I didn't realize these books were over a decade old until I read your review. That is such a bummer that the series ended here. One can only hope for more...

Lisa Vegan Dolly, I know. I was also incredibly disappointed. They're still illustrating and writing books though, so maybe if they see enough of our comments that they'll decide to go on with the series.

Crystal Marcos I agree more of the series would be great. My daughter enjoys them too.