Jessie Harrell's Reviews > The Adoration of Jenna Fox

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson

Oct 05, 09

Recommended for: philosphers
Read in October, 2009

I didn't "adore" the book, although I did like it and think it was very well-written. The premise is in the not-too-distant future (say 50 years), we have the ability to recreate damages tissues, organs, brains, nerves, everything, through a product called BioGel. The moral dilemma is how much is too much? The MC, Jenna, is the only child of the inventor of BioGel. When she is burned and nearly killed in a car accident, her parents break the law and create a new, more perfect Jenna. All that was salvageable was the "most important" 10% of her brain. (The law says a person must be at least 51% human.)
Anyway, Jenna wakes up from her coma and slowly discovers the truth about herself and what it means to be human and have a soul. These are great philosophical questions and would probably be great for a philosophy class, but it's just not what I was looking for in a YA read.
There are a lot of places were there could have been some drama or action, but NOTHING of any consequence happens in the whole book. Jenna spends most of it wrangling with her own demons despite vague threats that she is illegal, could be prosecuted for the accident if anyone knew she came out of her coma (because 2 of her friends died in the accident too), and having a new friend who rages against medical technologies like BioGel.
I have no qualms with the author's writing style and think she executed fabulously on that front. But don't grab this book for a light-hearted fun read. In short, this simply was not the book that I am looking for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adoration of Jenna Fox.