Reina's Reviews > If I Stay

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Jul 29, 14

bookshelves: ya-teen, read-at-15-or-younger, fabulosity, character-driven, contemporary-romance
Read in January, 2010

went into this book with high expectaions and was not in the least least disapointed, if anything, it probably excceded my expectations.
everything about this book was beautiful. from the cover, to the writing the the story
i think that listening to music really helps you get into the book and feel the emotions. while i dont necesarily hand pick out songs to listen to while reading a certain book (i just listen to whatever im listening to at the moment and then replay it while reading the book). anyways, even though i dont normally listen to classical/modern classical music, i was at the time and the piece that i listened to is from the soundtrack of the movie Man on Wire called Passage de L'egalité by Micheal Nyman (who is pretty much my favorite modern classical composer. love his soundtrack for the movie Gattaca). anyways, this piece really pulled out the emotions in the book.

its cover is beautiful and i think it really helped set the tone of the book with every aspect of the cover. the single blossoming flower especially and the fading shades of blue. gergeous print and i liked the texture of the cover too. if i could have a perfect book, this would be it.
the writing of this was also exceptional. her writing style in first person matches the nonchalantness (i think thats the word i want) that some books written in third person achieve's and also adds a lot to the story she's telling and the tone of the book. its stunning. very different from other books writtend in first person. love love love
the story its telling is heartwrenching. the characters in the book are also a fresh breath of air and arent what you might expect. especially mia's family. i love the carefreeness of her family. the legnth of the story was perfect. the 24 hour period after the accident is all you need. its refreshingly short and still tells a story with depth and love. i dont thinki ever felt it was dragging on or that a scene was unessisary. the scene with her grandpa i think was the most heartbreakingly tender one for me. and the ending scene with adam is not far behind.

this is a book thats plot is refreshing and amazing and had potential that was lived up to. everthing about this book was excecuted gergeously.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Stay.