Melissa's Reviews > America's Women: 400 Years of Dolls, Drudges, Helpmates, and Heroines

America's Women by Gail Collins

Sep 10, 09

Read in July, 2009

This is a pretty good sized book (450 pages) but it was a really entertaining read. As the title suggests, it is an examination of American women from the first colonists through today.

The description makes it sound like a history book, or some dry text book you have to read for a class, but it SO isn't. Collins' has a very, read-able style and peppers the book with sly observations.

The thing I liked most about this book was that it wasn't just a dry count of notable or famous women throughout American history. Instead, it is more of a 360 degree view of women. There are many descriptions of cultural things like clothing, medicine practices, childbirth, what their social life was like, and even what they did about "that time of the month" (you know you always wonder...). There are also explorations in the influence and power (or lack thereof) that women had throughout different periods of time.

The historical information is fascinating, and the highlights of individual women (both known and unkown) is really what makes this book so great. I now have great admiration for the struggles of our foremothers. I highly recommend this book!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read America's Women.