Mary Ann's Reviews > Heroes of the Environment: True Stories of People Who Are Helping to Protect Our Planet

Heroes of the Environment by Harriet Rohmer

Sep 12, 09

bookshelves: 4th, 5th, 6th, biography, environment, multicultural, science, women-s-history
Read in September, 2009

interesting book that will appeal to kids - especially empowering them to take action locally that has a big impact. I liked that it was written in short chapters - I think I'd like to put a copy in the science classroom for school-wide DEAR time.

My one problem is that the writing didn't seem to carry me through - didn't make me want to turn the page to the next chapter. But it was full of interesting examples of people taking action to change their lives and their communities for the better, from throughout North America (Canada, US, Mexico), and inclusive of many different ethnic groups.

fuller review coming later, after I check it out with some students

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heroes of the Environment.

Abby Johnson Thanks for the recommendation, Mary Ann. I will definitely check this one out!

Mary Ann Let me know what you think of it - I'm curious!

message 3: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Brown Mary Ann, Thank you for this recommendation. I will be sure and have a look, and also to test it in some classrooms of teachers I'm working with. I'd be interested in hearing about what you discover after you've checked it out with some students, too.