Morgan's Reviews > The Walking Dead, Vol. 01: Days Gone Bye

The Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert Kirkman

1977404
Why did I wait so long to read these?

I picked up Volumes 1-12 at Dragon*Con for a really good price and ever since I got back I have been failing at NOT devouring them all in one sitting.

From the back cover of each volume:

How many hours are in a day when you don't spend half of them watching television? When is the last time any of us REALLY worked to get something that we wanted? How long as it been since any of us really NEEDED something that we WANTED? The world we knew is gone. The world of commerce and frivolous necessity has been replaced by a world of survival and responsibility. An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept the globe causing the dead to rise and feed on the living. In a matter of months society has crumbled, no government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV. In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally start living.

This is exactly the kind of look at the zombie apocalypse that I want to read. This has parts of what I loved so much about The Forest of Hands & Teeth & The Dead-Tossed Waves and has taken that to a whole new level. The issues and situations can be much more mature since this is not YA fiction. And while Zombieland was similar in its focus on the people over the zombies, there was too much humor there to really place it in the same category. (Even though I still ADORE it.)

I have never really been much for graphic novels/comics, in truth. But just as Sharp Teeth made me forget that it was written in poetic verse, The Walking Dead makes me forget that I'm reading a graphic novel. Yes, I still see the pictures and my eyes scour the pages for every detail, but I am pulled so fully into the world that Kirkman & team have created that I don't think about it.

I found myself done with this volume before I even realized that I had been sitting still for several hours. It wasn't until I set it down that I noticed the cramp in my neck or the fact that my legs were asleep from being tucked up underneath me.

Rick Grimes is the main protagonist who wakes up after several months in a coma after being shot in the line of duty as a police officer. I will admit that this brought memories of 2003's 28 Days Later to mind. (At least the waking up from a coma to an 'empty' hospital and a zombie apocalypse part.) After that, it distances itself from the other work.

A++

**re-read March 19, 2014
**originally reviewed September 9, 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead, Vol. 01.

03/19 marked as: currently-reading
03/19 "Re-reading these with a plan to start watching the show next month. Also letting a co-worker borrow who is a huge fan of the show is motivating my re-read. :) BRING ON THE FEELS."
03/19 marked as: read