Paul's Reviews > A Suitable Boy

A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth

Nov 23, 12

bookshelves: really-big-timeconsumers, novels, india
Recommended for: anyone with an insatiable interest in every possible detail about every possible person

After about page 200 I realised this was like eating Turkish Delight morning noon and night and my spiritual teeth were beginning to dissolve under a tide of sickliness which didn't ever let up. All these characters are so unbearably cute, even the less-nice ones. If post-independent India was crossed with Bambi, it would be Vikram Seth's endless gurgling prose.
So I stopped reading and drove several three inch nails into my head, and I've been all right since then.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Suitable Boy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manny (new) - added it

Manny You made me laugh :)

message 2: by C. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C. You made me laugh too, even though I don't agree.

message 3: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Paul says I don't have to read it!!!

What a relief.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark Whew. One less guilty feeling about this tome sitting on one of my shelves. And the nails probably prevent that annoying tendency of parts of our skull just dropping off in the parking lot ...

Killthepopular It's not that bad. Perhaps not quite worth 1500 pages worth of time investment though.

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna Now I don't feel like a dumbass for giving up 100 pages in. I was fascinated though, by that drink they kept drinking at parties. Something planty and full of cannabinoids I think. I think it was this book. Even the parties were boring.

message 7: by Navdeep (last edited Aug 04, 2011 08:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Navdeep Hahaha. Even though I completely disagree with this review, I found this description funny. It's a pity though that you gave up so soon on it. It's much more than cutesy characters. The fun starts when the crazy ones start pouring in - from perverted uncles to morbid Arabic teachers.

Paul Thank you Navdeep - but i think I will stick with Rohinton Mistry..!

message 9: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin  Dove Had a good laugh about your recommendation. :)

message 10: by Paul (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paul It worked for me, but may not for you!

message 11: by Jamie (new)

Jamie never even heard of this, but quite possibly my fave review evah.

message 12: by Paul (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paul aw, I got a few better ones... but thanks!

message 13: by Sterna (new)

Sterna Somehow the spirit of the book was for me stuck in the 1990's, and not just after the second world war, lacked the atmosphere of the time.

message 14: by Swantje (new)

Swantje After reading your review, Paul, I was wondering where the second star came from.

message 15: by Paul (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paul I salute the author's ambition and he is not without skill.

message 16: by Swantje (new)

Swantje That clears it up, thanks!

message 17: by Gopinath (new)

Gopinath Kochattil Great read for anyone who has nothing else to do for one whole year.

Margitte lolol. I marked it as TBR but only then looked at the number of pages: 1474 !!! Good heavens! I don't think I will make it so will reconsider.

message 19: by Sevgi (new)

Sevgi How many times have you eaten Turkish delight?

message 20: by Paul (last edited Mar 02, 2014 05:44AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paul too many times... last time was last night in this restaurant

Margitte Must let you know, I did the unthinkable and read the book - from the first to the last word! Now, I need a pat on the back please. I think, no, correction, I KNOW I can climb the Himalayas next :-))

message 22: by Paul (last edited Mar 03, 2014 12:39AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paul so you liked it! very good - now onwards to In Search of Lost Time

Margitte Paul wrote: "so you liked it! very good - now onwards to In Search of Lost Time"

Hehehehehe, I need a break! BE NICE!!!! :-)

Cynthia Alice By Derek York?

message 25: by Karleen (new)

Karleen Haha I also had this on the "to read" list but think i shall remove given the number of pages and multiple reviewes suggesting monotony. Paul I laughed out loud to this review and read it to my partner who did the same. Love the sense of humour some people have on negative reviews, I enjoyed this one I found on Bryce Courtenay's "The Persimmon Tree" tonight: "I haven't done it yet, but will find mild pleasure in burning this book. And I won't feel like a Nazi...."

message 26: by Paul (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paul Thanks Karleen - I have a lot of fun with the books I don't like.