Amy's Reviews > The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

Jun 05, 10

Recommended to Amy by: Matt L
Recommended for: Anyone who has read the first two books.
Read from May 25 to June 05, 2010, read count: 1

The 3rd book in the Millenium series was quite good. I did not enjoy it as much as I had the second, The Girl Who Played with Fire, but it was still a very compelling read. I wish I could give this book 3.5 stars. I don't think it rises to the level of four or even five stars because there were some strange points where the writing seemed to depart from what I had expected of Larsson after reading the first two novels. I wonder if this third book had been not entirely completed as of the date of his death, requiring a ghostwriter to rewrite or even initially write some parts of the story. I know (the internet told me) that there was supposed to be a 4th book in the works that was abandoned because Larsson died and his family did not want to hire a ghostwriter to finish it.

I think the thing I liked least about the novel were the one page history tales about strong women throughout antiquity and the early modern era. While I understand what Larsson (or his editors) were going for I felt that the recaps were unnecessary and didn't lend anything to the story. In fact, when I was nearing the trial at the end of the novel and hit one of these section breaks, I was a little annoyed that my incessant page turning was interrupted by a non-sequitur. I had a similar problem when I was younger and read The Lost World and Michael Crichton continually interposed expositions on the Chaos Theory. For me, it distracted from the telling of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.