Crystal's Reviews > Lady Friday

Lady Friday by Garth Nix

Oct 06, 2007

bookshelves: fiction, read-and-mine-all-mine, kids, fantasy
Recommended for: Nix peeps and thrilling unconventional fantasy adventure lovers
Read in October, 2007

A satisfying read, as always. Garth Nix has been a favorite ever since I picked up Shade's Children; his ability to twist away from the expected plot cliche pitfalls (i.e. story climaxes with a swordfight, story climaxes with the clashing of ultimate magic powers, etc.) has been consistently refreshing.

Of course it helps that the villains, Trustees to the Houses of Monday through Sunday, in his The Keys to the Kingdom series are modeled after the seven deadly sins. The parallels so far have been mmm-mmm good and I've gleefully taken in Arthur's reluctant triumphs over Mister Monday (sloth), Grim Tuesday (greed), Drowned Wednesday (gluttony), Sir Thursday (wrath), and at last, Lady Friday (lust--for great rainbow gobs of Key-extracted mortal memories. Upon learning this, I secretly replaced all the "Lady Friday"s in the book to "Junkie").

Two left, and only once those final books are out can we more certainly assign the sins. Lady Friday could arguably be greed or envy; this could equivocably be rearranged for the other Trustees. The whole theme could be ignored, but I felt up for a little enriching symbolism. It hasn't taken on any pretentious religious or literary overtones and so it underscores Nix's fun and energetic pace.

I enjoyed following both Arthur's and Leaf's stories until they connected into one at the end. I was also glad for the return of the Mariner, as brief as it was. The Paper Pushers, Winged Servants of the Night versus The Artful Loungers (>.<), and the Gilded Youth were vivid and exciting. Aside from the 'main battle' of Arthur as The Rightful Heir against the remaining Trustees, there is Arthur's struggle to keep his mortality. Every time he uses a Key, I immediately hold my breath afterward as he does while checking his ring to see how close its golden line has gotten to official Denizen-hood.

Also to note, I love the American book covers for this series.

4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Friday.

03/30 marked as: read